Verizon FIOS has a lot of great features, but their set-top boxes have one obnoxious flaw: Whenever you haven’t used them in a while, they load annoying widget ads that take forever to load and require exiting out of. Here’s how to disable them.
We wouldn’t even have such a problem with it — we’re an ad-supported site, after all — but these ads can sometimes take a minute to load, and the set-top box locks up and won’t respond while trying to load the ads. They make using the box a serious pain.
It’s worth noting that if you have a Netflix subscription you can watch House of Cards without paying extra for it. And they’ve got season 3. So why would you pay for it from Verizon?
Disabling the FIOS Widget Ads
To disable the ads, assuming you didn’t hit the Options button when they showed up, just head into Settings using the settings button on your remote. Head to Notifications on the right-hand side.
Once there, go to Promotions.
And then you can switch the Promotions feature from Enable to Disable.
We’ve found that the entire box performs a lot better when it’s not trying to check for ads all the time.
- › UGREEN Nexode 100W Charger Review: More Than Enough Power
- › 10 Great iPhone Features You Should Be Using
- › Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 Has Internal Upgrades, Not Design Changes
- › 10 Quest VR Headset Features You Should Be Using
- › Vertagear SL5000 Gaming Chair Review: Comfortable, Adjustable, Imperfect
- › The 5 Biggest Android Myths