Ubuntu Server has the native ability to run multiple console sessions from the server console prompt. If you are working on the actual console and are waiting for a long running command to finish, there’s no reason why you have to sit and wait… you can just open another console and keep working.
Use the Alt+F1, Alt+F2, etc commands to open multiple consoles. There are 6 available tty consoles, using F1-F6.
For example, if I hit the key combination:
I will see a new login window:
I find this very useful when you are compiling a package and wish to keep working on something else.
- › Your iPhone Is Getting a Journal App From Apple
- › 15-Inch MacBook Air Is Official, Complete With M2 Chip
- › The M2 Ultra Is Apple’s Most Powerful Chip Yet
- › The Apple Watch Is Getting a Software Overhaul
- › Apple’s Long-Awaited Vision Pro Headset is Here
- › Apple Is Updating Widgets on Mac, With Help From Your iPhone