If you don’t already have a quick launch icon or a hotkey set to open a command prompt, there’s really quick trick that you can do on any Windows 7 or Vista computer to open up a command prompt without having to navigate the menu.
Just hold down the Shift key and right-click on the desktop…
And then you can choose “Open Command Window Here” from the menu. The great thing about this is that the current path is the desktop, which is convenient for manipulating files on the desktop.
Of course you can always right-click on any folder icon in the system while holding down the shift key:
Or inside any folder:
The great thing about this trick is that it works when you are working on somebody else’s computer… it also would be an easy way to open a command prompt when using a CrossLoop session to remotely fix a computer.
- › 20 of the Best Stupid Geek Tricks to Impress Your Friends
- › 20 of the Best Tips and Tricks for Getting the Most out of the Windows Command Line
- › Stupid Geek Tricks: Secret Items on the Windows 7 Send To Menu
- › You Can Try Every Classic Mac OS Version in Your Web Browser
- › Learn How to Brush Your Teeth Better With the Quip App
- › What’s New in Fedora 38
- › System76 Gazelle Laptop Has Linux and an RTX 3050
- › How to Back Up Your Steam Deck With Clonezilla