Jailbreaking your iDevices allows for more options when it comes to software and usage. The Apple TV is no exception. Here’s how to jailbreak your second generation Apple TV so you can install software like XBMC, Plex, or aTV Flash.
Jailbreaking your Apple TV does not mean you will lose any functionality, it only ensures you will get more options when it comes to how you want to use your device. Thanks to the hacking community, you can jailbreak your Apple TV in literally one click.
How to Jailbreak Your Apple TV
You will need the following items to complete the jailbreak
- A 2nd generation Apple TV (black model)
- A micro USB cable
- Seas0nPass for Windows or OS X (links below)
- Latest version of iTunes software
First start by unplugging any other iDevice from your computer. Then extract the Seas0nPass .zip file and run the program.
Click on Create IPSW and the software will automatically download the latest Apple TV software from Apple, decrypt the package, jailbreak the files, and repackage the installer.
Once the download is complete you will plug in your Apple TV to your computer with the microUSB cable without plugging in the power. When the light on the front of the Apple TV flashes repeatedly point your silver Apple TV remote at the device and hold the Menu and Play/Pause button simultaneously for seven seconds.
You may need to wait for Windows to download updated drivers for the Apple TV to function properly in restore mode so give it a couple minutes to detect.
When your device is found you should get this screen to confirm the device is conected along with a screen that says uploading to device.
iTunes will automatically open and begin the restore process of the device.
If iTunes does not automatically start, wait a couple minutes and manually start iTunes, the rest of the restore should be automated once the software is running.
Once the restore is completed you can disconnect the USB cable and connect the Apple TV to your television with power and HDMI.
You will need to go through the initial Apple TV setup to choose your language. Once the device boots completely you will know it is jailbroken by the temporary FireCore logo in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- › How to Install Alternate Media Players on Your Apple TV (XBMC, Plex)
- › Telegram’s New Update Will Help You Save Battery Life
- › Keychron S1 QMK Mechanical Keyboard Review: A Compact, Customizable Board
- › How to Protect Your Images From AI Art Generators
- › Why You Should Be Using More Web Apps on Your Phone
- › The Best Free Apps for Your Windows PC
- › 8BitDo Controllers Now Work Better With iPhone and Mac