The Best Tech Newsletter Anywhere

Join 425,000 subscribers and get a daily digest of news, geek trivia, and our feature articles.

How-To Geek - We Explain Technology

Did You Know?

Although the term “plaid” is commonly used today in American English to refer to the pattern of criss-crossed bands of color on fabric, the pattern itself is generally referred to as “tartan”. In Scotland, the country of origin for the tartan patterns, “plaid” (derived from the Scottish Gaelic plaide, meaning “blanket”) was first used to refer to any rectangular garment (sometimes made up of tartan), and over time, used to refer to blankets themselves.

More Articles
How-To Geek is where you turn when you want experts to explain technology. Since we launched in 2006, our articles have been read more than 1 billion times. Want to know more?