Help:Forum FAQ & Rules
The How-To Geek Forum is all about helping people in the friendliest environment possible. Simply ask your questions, giving as much information as possible, and somebody will try and answer them.
How to Ask a Question
When you ask questions in any online forum, you'll have the most luck if you include as much information as possible.
Too often we get questions that are vague and make no sense, and then time has to be wasted to try and ask a dozen follow up questions to figure out what the real question is. These questions often have no resolution, so if you aren't going to include some helpful information you aren't going to get much help from anybody.
For more on this topic, you should read the Microsoft support document: How to ask a question.
The number one rule is that everybody needs to be friendly. I'd like for this to be a place where people can feel free to ask questions without worrying about being flamed.
Rule of Thumb for Members: It's a bad idea to talk about Race, Sex, Religion or Politics, because Somebody will be offended Somewhere.
- No graphic material or pornographic anything.
- No spam, period. This includes referral links.
- No promoting of any kind. This includes promoting your blog, your website, your product, etc.
- No illegal content such as warez, cracks, or piracy.
- Avoid inappropriate language.
- No flaming or personal attacks. This is a help forum, and people that aren't trying to be helpful will be banned.
- Stay on topic - don't post Windows content in a linux forum. You might anger the linux nerds.
- Please do not post your personal email address.
- The off-topic forum is for topics that might not be computer related or useful for the majority of the rest of the forum users. Off-topic posts will not be shown on the front page.
Contacting a Moderator
If you feel that somehow you haven't been treated fairly, you can contact help [at] howtogeek.com with your complaint. Please include as much information as possible, especially your username. It would also be helpful to email from the same address that you used for your account so we can more easily verify who you are.
If you have suggestions or questions about the forum, you can leave a post on the Site Suggestions forum. If you have a question that cannot be asked on the forum, you are welcome to email me via the About page.