Background Intelligent Transfer Service
Please review the edit history before making changes to avoid conflicts with other edits in progress.
BITS uses whatever bandwidth your applications are not using to transfer files. For instance, if youw ere uploading a video to YouTube and using 70% of total bandwidth, BITS would use the remaining 30%.
BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) is a file transfer service built into Windows. This service uses idle bandwidth to asynchronously transfer data. Not only does BITS use leftover bandwidth, if your Internet connection is disconnected during a file transfer, when you reestablish the connection, the transfer will continue where it left off.
BITS transfers files asynchronously which means that an application does not need to be running for the file to transfer. BITS will stop the file transfer if the connection is lost and will resume where the transfer left off during the initial disconnection. BITS uses round-robin scheduling to process jobs at different priority levels. This means jobs with high priority are transferred before lower priority jobs. Applications specify the high or low priority background levels. The highest priority is the Foreground transfers and because BITS does not throttle those transfers the two applications will compete for the bandwidth. BITS will only transfer one file at a time. BITS cannot determine an accurate estimate of background transfer of a particular file. Transfer jobs will only be executed under the specified user profile that is logged in. For example if you log off a computer during a file transfer and another user logs onto the same machine, the original file transfer will not resume until the original user logs on.