• ARTICLES

The new Parental Controls in Windows Vista will allow you to filter the content your children can view on the web. You could, for instance, block your kids from using MySpace or other similar sites. Before you set this up, you should make sure your child has a non-administrator account so they can’t immediately reverse the changes.

Windows is always trying to save you from yourself and with Windows Home Server it is no exception. Anytime you log on as the administrator, you receive an annoying caution message, but we can disable this annoying message from coming up every time you log on to your server.

It only took two days for somebody to come through on my offer of a bounty. Reader Shawn wrote in with a link to Vista Thumbnail Sizer, a utility written by Andreas Verhoeven, that performs exactly the features I was looking for.

Windows Home Server is Microsoft’s upcoming version of Windows designed for storing your pictures, videos and files so you can share them between all the computers in your home.

Apple recently released a new version of QuickTime (v. 7.2) sporting a number of new features and enhancements.  Among the many enhancements - which include (finally) full screen support in the unregistered version – Apple added generic AVI playback, supporting codecs like Xvid, DivX and an enhanced H.264.

Reader Jeffrey wrote in with a problem – The New Contact Group button wasn’t showing up when he went into his Vista Contacts folder. After checking, I noticed I had the same exact problem.

This will bring up a list of current user accounts on your system. At the bottom of this screen click on ‘Create a new account’

Ever since Windows Vista came out, I’ve been trying to figure out how to increase the size of the tiny Windows Vista taskbar preview windows. I’ve scoured the registry, used process monitor to try and find hidden registry keys, and looked at every setting I could find anywhere with no luck.

In honor of hitting the 10k subscriber mark here at How-To Geek, I’ve decided to deviate from the normal how-to articles and write up a short list of the smaller geek sites I read the most frequently that you might not have heard of.

If you’ve become addicted to using keyboard launchers like I have, you might have encountered the scenario where Katapult became extremely slow for no apparent reason. The problem is most likely because you’ve got a big music library in Amarok, and Katapult starts searching your music library by default after you type a single character.