• ARTICLES

Every time you delete a file, Windows asks you “Are you sure you want to move this file to the Recycle Bin?” This is typically a good thing, to prevent you from deleting files by accident, but if you are trying to do some cleanup and need to delete a lot of files, you might not want to be prompted every single time.

In a previous post I mentioned that I am ready for a new audio player application. This all came to fruition because Apple pissed me off with their last iTunes update. It includes unnecessary software for the iPhone. Sure I could choose not to update … but that’s counter productive. Software updates should enhance the end user experience, not degrade it.

I realize this is probably only relevant to about 3 of the readers, but I’m posting this so I don’t forget how to do it myself! In my efforts to ban the completely insecure FTP protocol from my life entirely, I’ve decided to disable the FTP service running on the How-To Geek server, which is running the CentOS operating system.

Here at geek central, we’re in the business of making things as easy as possible. There’s a registry hack for Windows that will let you add a Copy To Folder or Move To Folder to the right-click menu, which can be very useful when you want to move a file but don’t have the other folder open already.

We’ve come a long way in our coverage of Windows Vista, and it’s time to put together a roundup of all the articles that tweak the appearance of Windows Vista. If you’d like to suggest something that we left out, leave a comment with the details of what you’d like us to feature next.

I would argue Foxit Reader 2.0 is the best alternative to Adobe Reader for Windows. Unlike the bloated Adobe product; Foxit Reader 2.0 is light on system resources and opens PDF docs extremely faster than adobe. Foxit Reader 2.0 also includes free add-ons, no lengthy splash screens, has an intuitive streamline interface, and is under 2MB download size.

I recently came across an article on Cnet questioning the advantage of using the anti-spyware freeware Spybot Search and Destroy. I definitely have to take exception to her position. This is my opinion on this great software.

My favorite web browser is Firefox and when I try a new extension or “Add-ons” that sticks I feel the need to tell everyone about it. In a previous post I wrote about my favorite Add-ons so far. Today I am adding Colorful Tabs to the list. This is a fun way to keep track of your multiple tabs while browsing the net with FireFox.

I tend to leave a lot of comments on various blogs that I read throughout my day, and typing in the same name, email and site URL takes quite a bit of time if you don’t automate it somehow.

Up until now, there’s been no way to show the Alexa rankings directly in Firefox… if you wanted to see them you had to either use the really great About This Site extension, or use the toolbar for Internet Explorer.