Technology in our world is constantly evolving at an incredibly rapid rate.  The consensus in the IT industry is to stay ahead of the curve.  If you misstep the IT bus leaves you behind with the Pentium II’s.  It leaves  you stuck, trying to achieve the unachievable… stuck in a horrifying downward spiral… a desolate void… or a classic?

Microsoft has just released a set of updates for Windows Vista, divided into two separate update packs. One deals with performance and the other with reliability, and seems to fix quite a few issues with video drivers and hibernation.

We’ve always been fans of the free Foxit PDF reader here, but when I came across an open-source PDF viewer that was even more lightweight and simple, I immediately switched.

For those of you joining us in progress we’ve started something new here called the How-To Geek Bounty Program, where we sponsor software projects based on ideas suggested by the readers.

I personally cannot stand the “bread crumb” toolbar Microsoft makes us use as a default.  I really wish this was an option to enable or disable.  I see a lot of praise for this new feature with people saying “it makes navigation extremely fast” … Am I alone here?  Am I the only one who sees no benefit to this?  When i am navigating an OS I get there via a straight line .. I have no reason to go back somewhere else along the journey.  I am a proponent of shortcuts for frequently used paths.  When I want to view the traditional path of a certain location, it actually requires an additional mouse click!  How is this more efficient?  How does that speed things up?

Many people like myself don’t completely trust the various WordPress spam filters and elect to moderate all comments before they show up on the actual site, which ends up flooding your email with moderation notices.

In a previous article we showed you how to quickly clean out your inbox.  Here we will show you how to have more control over what is kept and what is not.  Let’s look at a way to archive the older items so your inbox is not so cluttered up.

The keyword list is starting to get large, so the next version is going to probably switch to a regex array.

A very cool utility to analyze and keep track of everything running on your computer during startup is Autoruns.  This handy little utility displays everything running on your computer when you start up.  Sure you can use the built in utility in Windows “msconfig” however your not getting the full picture with msconfig.  Autoruns on the other hand will go through and list everything running and the order in which it start up!  Here I will show you the difference between MSCONGIG and the Autoruns program on a computer running Windows Vista.

If you like to subscribe to feeds using Firefox’s Live Bookmarks feature, the LiveClick extension gives you so many upgrades that I can only cover the highlights of how great it is.