The new Ribbon in Office 2007 can take a while to get used to, so the Quick Access Toolbar is a great way to put your most frequently used commands on a single toolbar while you are getting used to the Ribbon.

I use del.icio.us to store all of my infrequently used bookmarks, but I’ve found that browsing by tag just isn’t very efficient for me. I always use a full text search through my bookmarks to find what I’m looking for, so what I’m really looking for is a single-click save solution similar to the star button on the Flock browser.

Many people have reported problems with synchronizing their clocks with the internet time servers, especially time.windows.com, which seems to have a ton of problems with uptime. We’ll go through a few workarounds to fix this issue.

This will really make your Monday a different experience. Make your computer look like OS X Tiger with Flyakite OSX. This neat theme will make your entire Windows system look and act like OS X. Including the same sounds, icons, and The Dock.

If you’d rather see the subject line as the top line when using the condensed view in Outlook, you can make a simple tweak to show the subject line on the top, and the from address on the bottom. I’ve found that this helps when you get a lot of emails from the same people, since you can see what the message is about more easily.

A reader wrote in a while back asking if there was a hotkey to open attachments in Outlook. Since this thought had occurred to me a number of times before, I looked for a way to do it. Turns out it’s really fairly simple, and I’m sure many of you already realized how to do this.

Windows Vista’s AutoPlay options are a great improvement over Windows XP in terms of flexibility, but unfortunately there are so many options that it can be confusing, especially since there’s no specific mention of USB Flash drives in the options.

One of the more annoying default settings in Windows XP is the Desktop Cleanup Wizard.  I guess I do not need Windows telling me what I should or should not have on my desktop.  Also, I have found in IT that an employee may not use a certain icon for a few months and when they need to find that icon to run a program it may be missing.  Disabling this just saves a needless call to the helpdesk.

A freeware tool I use many times in IT is System Info for Windows.  This small lightweight utility comes packed with a lot of power.  No need to install anything on the local hard drive … just run it from a jump drive or pop it on a disc.  If you need detail about a computer you’re working on, SIW will give you everything including the kitchen sink!

A very useful feature in Windows is the ability to automatically hide system tray icons when they are not in use. The problem is that over time, Explorer caches a list of every single icon that it’s ever seen, and your list might grow to hundreds of items that Explorer knows about.