• ARTICLES

Anybody that has been a geek for a while is already aware of the greatness of the tiny Startup Control Panel written by the legendary Mike Lin, but I’m here to tell you that it’s still just as useful today as it was 8 years ago.

I get very tired of every application adding items to my Windows Explorer right-click menu and making it difficult to remove them. Winamp has an easy preferences panel to let you configure which items show up, but sadly it doesn’t seem to work in Windows Vista.

OpenDNS is an incredible alternative to your ISP DNS server.  Simply put DNS (Domain Name System) translates IP address to easy to remember hostname’s. Not only will OpenDNS make your browsing faster, there are a lot of additional features provided by this free service.

One of the mind boggling things about Microsoft Outlook is that even with zillions of settings in the preferences, you still can’t easily clear private data like MRU lists by using an option in the UI.

Have you ever wondered how to make the media keys on your keyboard actually work for Winamp? Reader Shawn was asking me this question a while back, but then he figured it out on his own and sent me the instructions.

One of the best ways to speed up your web application is to enable query caching in your database, which caches commonly used SQL queries in memory for virtually instant access by the next page that makes the same request.

If you’ve removed the checkbox from the “Always ask before opening this type of file” on the downloads window and now you no longer get the dialog that says “Do you want to open or save this file?” then you are in luck, because I’ve got the answer for you.

The Start menu in Windows Vista and XP allows you to “Pin” items to the top for quicker access to your favorite applications. The problem is that you can’t pin folders to the start menu, even though that would be very useful.

Do you remember the classic Oregon Trail game for the Apple II computer? I think everybody played this game at some point or another, but did anybody actually win? I don’t think I ever got to the end without dying…

The first thing you need to do is download AppleWin 1.14.0  This is a zip file so just go ahead and extract it where you like.  I just put it on my desktop.  Open the folder and double click on the AppleWin.exe icon to launch the emulator.  To start the virtual machine click on the Apple button on the upper right side.