Should I turn off my computer every night?  Is it better to have it Hibernate?  Should I have set it to Standby?  What is the best option for my computer?  I get these questions all week when people are asking about their home PC’s.  I believe the jury is still at on what is the best answer.  Instead of going into a long explanation I advise people about what I do.  I never turn of my home computer or my work computer for that matter and have never had any issues.

Google Calendar is simply a great calendar application, and for many of us it has become the logical choice. The only problem is that to add a new appointment you have to open the calendar. There should really be a simpler way.

If “My Computer” takes a really long time to open on your computer, you are most likely experiencing a well-known issue where Windows hangs while trying to search for network folders and printers before displaying anything to you.

I get home PC security questions all the time.  So, I figured I would post my opinion on various methods for protecting your PC from viruses, spyware, etc.  First off, I by no means endorse any pay for security suites except for one situation; and that is if you’re grandma is using a PC.  They grew up in a non tech age and if you don’t want to be running over there every 10 minutes (which may happen anyway) just throw Norton or Trend on it.  Set up auto updates and daily scans.   Set it and forget it.

If you use the excellent Synergy application to share your keyboard and mouse between computers, you’ve probably noticed some weird behaviors in Windows Vista… especially when running any application that requires administrator permissions.

Have you ever wanted to just “stick” your Outlook calendar to the desktop? For those of us with multiple monitors it makes even more sense… just having your calendar open on the second monitor at all times would be a great productivity boost.

One of the nicer features of Outlook 2007 is the way it neatly groups your messages by date or other criteria, but it’s not always easy to see at a glance. There’s a little-known option buried in the settings that will shade the group headings to make them more easy to distinguish.

This article was written by Daniel Spiewak, a great software developer and friend of the How-To Geek.

This tip is absolutely and completely useless, and will even make applications that depend on timestamps have issues. It’s mostly just to be used as a cool trick you can show off to your friends, so we’re going to show you how it works.

Ubuntu Gutsy is the latest major release of the most popular Linux distro, released on October 18, 2007. Like all Linux distributions you can upgrade easily even while the release is in beta, but now that it’s been released you should have much better luck with it.