• ARTICLES

I guess I will continue this week’s theme of media players by introducing you to J River Media Jukebox.  I have to say I am quite impressed so far with this player.

After installing Windows Live Messenger, I noticed a really annoying addition to My Computer… a new icon called “My Sharing Folders”. So how exactly do I remove this icon I’ll never use?

After installing a bunch of software required for work, I noticed that I had a new icon under “My” Computer that I hadn’t noticed before. What is this Web Folders icon, and how do I get rid of it?

A reader wrote in this week asking why his folder pane in Windows XP wasn’t working… it didn’t display anything other than a gray background with nothing else. This is actually a common problem that I’ve personally experienced before, which I luckily knew the solution to.

I’ve always wondered why Windows doesn’t allow you to set an arbitrary size for the filesystem cache. What if you have a slow hard drive in your laptop, but loads of available system memory? Shouldn’t you be able to maximize that memory in order to speed up hard drive access?

As many of you know, after my iTunes rant, I have been trying out all sorts of new media players.  I guess I still have not found an “ultimate player” that I am completely satisfied with yet.  Each player seems to have its positive and negative points for me.  The trusty standby has been VLC although Spider Player and Foobar2000 come in close for my audio only needs.

So you login to your computer every single day, but there’s more than one account to choose from… either because you got the computer from somebody else, or some software package added a user account that you really don’t want to see. So how do we hide that other account from the login screen?

NOTE: You shouldn’t disable your page file unless you really really know what you are doing.

Normally we try and focus on articles about how to customize your computer, but today we’ll take a break from that and do a book review. This is something I’ve not done before, so any suggestions or questions will be welcomed in the comments.

If you want to test an explorer shell plugin or registry hack without having to log off, more technical users will usually just kill the explorer.exe process in Task Manager. Windows Vista has another way to do the same thing that you might not be aware of.