VMWare Workstation is great. The version 6 beta has even more awesome features… but it’s slower than dirt, because debugging mode is turned on by default.
Thankfully there’s a quick and easy trick to turn off debugging, which will increase the speed a lot.
Here’s what we’re going to do:
- Open an explorer window and browse down to the VMWare install folder. (C:\Program Files\Vmware\VMware Workstation)
- You’ll see two folders, one named bin and another named bin-debug.
- Rename bin-debug to bin-debug-old.
- Make a copy of the bin folder, and name the copied folder bin-debug.
- Enjoy Workstation 6 without debugging.
Here’s a screenshot of what the folder structure now should look like:
(Thanks to Daniel for the screenshot, and my friend Jeff for the tip)
Programmer by day, geek by night, The Geek, also known as Lowell Heddings, spends all his free time bringing you fresh geekery on a daily basis. You can follow him on Google+ if you'd like.
- Published 03/22/07