VMWare Workstation is great. The version 6 beta has even more awesome features… but it’s slower than dirt, because debugging mode is turned on by default.
Thankfully there’s a quick and easy trick to turn off debugging, which will increase the speed a lot.
Here’s what we’re going to do:
- Open an explorer window and browse down to the VMWare install folder. (C:\Program Files\Vmware\VMware Workstation)
- You’ll see two folders, one named bin and another named bin-debug.
- Rename bin-debug to bin-debug-old.
- Make a copy of the bin folder, and name the copied folder bin-debug.
- Enjoy Workstation 6 without debugging.
Here’s a screenshot of what the folder structure now should look like:
(Thanks to Daniel for the screenshot, and my friend Jeff for the tip)