According to this Microsoft knowledge base article, if you’ve set your desktop to use a solid color background instead of a wallpaper, your system will hang for 30 seconds during the logon process.
Here’s what I’m talking about… the gray screen of death =)
The fix, of course, is to use a great desktop wallpaper instead! Luckily we’ve got you covered with a whole variety of them:
- Friday Fun: Retro Nintendo Wallpapers
- Totally Awesome Lego Wallpapers for Your Desktop
- Awesome Desktop Wallpapers: Guitar Edition
- Desktop Fun: Winter Theme Wallpapers
- Awesome Desktop Wallpapers: Abstract Art Edition
- Awesome Desktop Wallpapers: Windows 7 Edition
- Fun Wallpapers: The Linux Desktop Edition
- Amazing Desktop Wallpapers: Castle Theme Edition
The other fix noted in the KB article, if you really want a solid color background image, is to make sure you’ve disabled the Desktop Window Manager (dwm) service, although you’ll lose all the great Aero effects. You might as well use Linux at that point.
Programmer by day, geek by night, The Geek, also known as Lowell Heddings, spends all his free time bringing you fresh geekery on a daily basis. You can follow him on Google+ if you'd like.
- Published 01/17/10