The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Zoom In and Enhance Picture Quality

(7 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Aleeve
  • Latest reply from Aleeve
  • Topic Viewed 48661 times

Aleeve

Does anbody know of a way to zoom in on a picture and enhance it at the same time (auto enhance) and then retake (trim) the picture into a new one, with the same dimensions?
I know this can be done, because my friend has a PS3 and he does it on there
Also, I can zoom in and trim on my camera with a little enhancement, but I cannot think of a way to do it on the computer - photoshop must have a way surely?!

I am stumped!

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Aleeve, first, if you want to "enhance" any picture you should not do it in .jpeg. Convert it to .png ot .tiff with Paint first. With .jpeg you have too much bit loss. Then you can crop it etc. Unfortunately Windows Photo Gallery cannot deal with .png or .tiff. But I think you have Office 2007. Use the Office Picture Manager for that. Enhancements is a different deal. You can brighten them up or change the colour tint (also with Office Picture Manager). But if you want to do any serious work, you should use Gimp2. That has many of the same functions as Photoshop (as far as I can tell from conversations - never used Photoshop myself) but you can download it for free - not for $900. I use Gimp2 a lot. There is an extensive on-line documentation.
PS: I think jack is an expert in this field.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

Oh yeah, the GIMP is great. Picasa is another alternative.

Posted 6 years ago

Aleeve

I have Office 2007 AND photoshop elements 6
thanks for the help guys, I shall give it a go!

Posted 6 years ago

Aleeve

Ok, so when converting it tiff
I have done that
how do i know 'zoom in' on the picture to 'retake' it, keeping the same dimensions?
by enhance i mean just not lost so much picture quality!

Posted 6 years ago

whs

The way I do it in Office Picture Manager is to crop it first and then choose an "Aspect Ratio" (top right).

Posted 6 years ago

Aleeve

ok

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.