How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Your Expert Feedback on Proposed New System

(5 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by jamesjunk
  • Latest reply from bamsan
  • Topic Viewed 1840 times

jamesjunk

Hi - great forum...
I was wondering if you could provide pros/cons on the system I'm thinking of putting together. This is primarily for work (heavy PhotoShop, several web design/dev apps open at once), with some gaming (hopefully) likely. Thanks for your help on this!

You can check out the "wishlist" on newegg.com: https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=9821648&WishListTitle=james-new-08

or see below.

- ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

-Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail

- ASUS EN8800GT/G/HTDP/512M GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

- G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail (2 to bring me up to 8GB)

- Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

- SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B - OEM

- Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

- Antec NeoPower 650 Blue 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply - Retail

- Vista Ultimate 64-bit, OEM version

...all this comes out to about $1,266 before rebates.

Thanks again.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

That system looks quite powerful... since you'll be running a ton of apps at once, is there any reason you didn't go with a quad core instead?

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

James, welcome to the forum. I must admit that after looking at your list I was thinking, "where's the CPU cooler?" Of course, there is the stock cooler in the retail box with the processor, but most build lists have an upgraded CPU cooler. However, I see one comment at newegg from someone who overclocked that Wolfsdale with the stock cooler, so I guess it's good enough. Just keep an eye on the thermals.

It looks good to me.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Good catch... I didn't notice that.

I'm using the stock cooler with my quad core (not overclocked), and it runs nice and cool. I've got some friends that overclocked theirs a bit on the stock cooler with no issues, but of course my CPU is 2.4 and not 3.0 like James is getting, so I don't know.

I'm really not an overclocker... the last time I did that I overclocked my pentium 200 to 225 =)

Posted 6 years ago

bamsan
bamsan

That's a wonderful machine, but I think you should consider higher rpm harddrive

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.