The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

Your countries sayings...

(66 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by JKay
  • Latest reply from GaardCeteru
  • Topic Viewed 5246 times

JKay

LOL no, we're off in a far corner of Iraq, no bbqs, we did have friday night fights though, a bunch of my friends went and boxed, beat the crap out of each other, interesting to watch, but not for me, they had some other stuff too, but nothing that tickled my fancy. I'll shoot some fireworks and have my own 4th of July when I get home lol. I need some excuse to wear my "kiss the chef" shirt.

Posted 6 years ago

Aleeve

hhaha

awesome :D

nice - i want one of those shirts!

Posted 6 years ago

GaardCeteru

@techgranny: Happens often, like many people here doesnt know how to order food in a restaurant in english or some other language but they sure know how to curse someone else's mother in some fair a mount of languages.. so they may know when you're saying something mean lol

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Rule 1. NEVER shout "garçon"

Posted 6 years ago

GaardCeteru

@ lighthouse: what does that mean? =O

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

In a French restaurant, when you need some service, you should never shout "garçon". It means "boy".
They get very annoyed. And you will get the worst service possible. (and they will probably spit in your food. (in the kitchen)).

Posted 6 years ago

Aleeve

:D

ewwww
Lighthouse did that once didnt he, he has personal experience? :P

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

Before I go to a country. I learn the etiquette. So there.

Posted 6 years ago

Aleeve

(Lighthouse sticks out his tongue)

Posted 6 years ago

techgranny

GaardCeteru, Do you have any practical advice for learning Spanish? I'm trying very hard, really I am. It goes in one ear and out the other. I'm starting to get frustrated with it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated:)

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

Oma, use the reviews as a guide,
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb.....=0&y=0

Posted 6 years ago

techgranny

Thanks Scott, I'm using Berlitz Learning System. Not working very well for me which is why I thought I'd ask a native speaker, might get a different angle.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

There's always ESPN Deportes and Telemundo :)

And this works great too, I use it daily...
http://jlc-software.com/?page=internet_tv.html

Posted 6 years ago

techgranny

I know about telemundo et al. We're not all fancy Vermont; we're the redneck Riviera, don't have digital cable:) I looked at that jlc link and have no idea what it is. Still interested in a native speakers opinion, aren't you?

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

Shirley, just giving you ideas until she can reply.

JLC's let's you watch TV from around the world for free. It's one if the better designed TV apps I've used.

Posted 6 years ago

techgranny

Now I understand what it is. Also, I know she's very busy and don't call me Shirley:D

In case anyone misunderstands, I've always wanted to say that! hehehe:D and lol hehe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=midrADL_kHI

Posted 6 years ago

Aleeve

not trying to state the obvious or anything
but scott, why did you change your pic again?
i liked the little baseball dude, it added some character :)

these flowers, *tchah*

Posted 6 years ago

Scott

The 'little baseball dude' is Mr. Met,
http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/ny...../mrmet.jsp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Met

All I can say is stick around, the avatars change but are always something I feel strongly about.

Posted 6 years ago

GaardCeteru

@Oma: Well I can recommmend it the same way I learned english.. listen to music, a LOT of music, look out for the lyrics try singing the song without them and so on, watch TV shows, watch the news, etc (if I know a bit about japanese is because I watch anime, listen to j-rock, etc, same way I learned english.. I dont speeak japanese and read kanjis tough! I always get in trouble when it comes to making sentences lol) Getting a native speaking teacher is great because they can tell you if you're wrong with pronounciation or grammar but if you're self taught I'd still recommend the music, watching TV shows hummm reading may be difficult at first but a dictionary is always handy and will aid you a lot since spanish is a very.. standard language =P I'd recomment poetry for starters =D is easyer to understand and has a much wider... uh.. vocabulary =P

Puedo ayudarte con lo que necesites (I can aid you with pretty much anything you need)

EDIT: Just read you dont have access to cable TV so I'd recommend youtube =D you can always find things from spanish people there =P try changing your flag to "Spain" or anything that has to do with spanish =P if you can read spanish then you can look for latin/spanish music videos, there are plenty of artists and from many genres =P

Posted 6 years ago

Aleeve

ok scott :)

im not american so i had no idea!

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.