How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Yes, Changes are in progress.

(55 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by The Geek
  • Latest reply from jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Topic Viewed 3129 times

thegeek
The Geek

I'm working on rolling out the new theme... things might have moved around on the screen a bit, but the forum should mostly stay the same, other than the header section.

Will update with more.

Posted 6 years ago

ross

Outstanding new theme, I like it very much. Well done.

Posted 6 years ago

Bartman
Bartman

Jobs...very interesting.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Everybody keeps asking me about that... the link has actually been on the menu bar for a few months now, but it was so tiny before that nobody noticed it, I guess.

It's a partnership with Sologig... and it will likely be going away at some point.

Posted 6 years ago

Bartman
Bartman

I like the larger font, much easier to read.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I agree... there's still a whole lot of theme problems I need to solve, but overall I think it's a step in the right direction.

Now that I finally have an integrated codebase I can start launching the new features for the site.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Nice changes.
How did you come up with the header tab idea?
Also I thought of a couple other changes you could do:
1. Expand the length of the reply box to be as long as the post box. Then the contents of the post box will auto wrap the same as the reply box.
2. Add the forum search box to the header with an option to use it or the global site search. It's a little unintuitive that the forum only box is lower down the page.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

1) Totally agreed... not sure what happened with the new theme, but the post box needs to be fixed.

2) I'm still working that out... I don't like any of the search options very much. I can't customize the Google search at all, and the forum search is just lousy. I've been researching setting up a search engine that is actually part of the site, which could then detect what section you are on and search intelligently.

The header tabs seemed to make a lot more sense, so I played around with different styles until I came up with that.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Having the "text" under the ID's is a bit odd. Lots of wasted space, and the conversation doesn't flow as well as before.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Text under the IDs? I don't understand what you are talking about.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Sorry. Posts now start under our ID's (not to the right of (our ID's))

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Belay that Sir Geek. It was my fault. I reduced the size of the font, and it messed up the screen composition. Do I feel silly? Yes :)

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Interesting... I tested the new theme with virtually every browser with normal and large fonts... never thought to test with smaller fonts!

There is still an issue with Firefox 2 and large fonts... the screen doesn't scale quite right so there is wasted space on the right. Other than that I think I got most of the scenarios.

One of my major design goals was to make the whole site design work better for people with large fonts... seems like quite a lot of our readers use large fonts, so I wanted to make it a better experience for them.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I'm gonna take a nap for a few hours, since it's 7:30 AM and I've not slept yet... I think everything is under control, but feel free to report any issues in this thread.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

For me, it's lookin' good

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

I noticed that the avatars sometimes make sideways movements when you open a thread. Maybe that's just my IE.
Update: Actually they are hopping back and forth, together with part of the heading.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

@whs

I noticed that too... I seriously thought it was just cause I hadn't gotten sleep.

I'll fix it.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Thanks, It's not a big problem. Now we have an animated Forum.

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r
jack7h3r1pp3r

i like it but was a little confused when i logged on this morning and was sure if my browser wasn't loading the page right but then i figured out that the theme was changed and now i am somewhat used to it.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

I just noticed on the top of the page we have a much bigger Geek now - a full size Geek so to speak.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!