How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

yahoo homepage

(29 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by english
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 2393 times

whs
whs

Aleeve, thank you for clarifying that. I forgot about the basic Prnt Scrn since I have FastStone Capture as default. Which, by the way, is the ultimate.

Posted 5 years ago

Aleeve
Aleeve

Oh - wow, well I also use snipping tool, part of Vista! (Home Premium and above)

EDIT: sorry whs, not trying to teach you to suck eggs or anything - just remembered you have vista yourself!

english, if you're seeing this, click back a page - I clarified how to show a print screen here!

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

No problem Aleeve. We all have our little "Specials" and sometimes do not remember how the basics work. That's why we help each other out.

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

I have Home Premium. Where is this snipping tool of which you speak? I've been using PrtScr-Ctr+V.

Whs, could you explain what or where FastStone Capture is, please:)

Hope you all had a great weekend!

Posted 5 years ago

Scott
Scott

Oma, you should be able to find it by searching Start. Just type in 'Snip'.
If it doesn't come up, it could be we have to enable it through Control Panel.

Post back regardless.

FastStone is a screen capture program whs always has said it is money well spent. I found the last free available version here,
http://www.oldapps.com/old_version_FSCapture.php

I use version 5.3, which I believe was the last free version.

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

Awesome Scott, found it! I never knew Vista had this little jewel:) Thanks a million!!

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Scott pointed you to the right place. I have the latest version which was $20 for life. I am not sure whether there is a big difference since I never used the free version. I like the arrows and comment boxes which are handy to explain things. But it has a lot more functions - e.g. you can very easily resize a snip which is handy. See here for an example http://i260.photobucket.com/al.....TG3/fs.png

Posted 5 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

whs, I haven't looked at FastSone yet. I just found the built-in tool. Can I do the writing and pointing with the snipping tool that comes with Vista? I have to go out-of-state on business for a week, so if I don't answer you, it's because I have no internet access:( :( I'll be back next week!

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

Unfortunately you can only make snips with the native Vista snipping tool. For the text boxes and arrows you'll need a "commercial" tool. There are several on the market, but I only use FastStone Capture. It cost me $20 for life. But there is also an older free release available.
There is also a FastStone Image Viewer that has those capabilities too - only for pictures. I.e. you can annotate a picture with text. I like this picture viewer. It is real fancy and for free. Maybe you want to try that too.
A have a little write-up that I made for the Vista snipping tool that you can download from here . It also contains something about Paint that you can disregard in this context.
I think I also have one for FastStone Capture. But I have to look for it.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!