How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

XP/Vista Hybrid Start Menu Emulator

(32 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by jmcguire
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 7047 times

jmcguire
jmcguire

The Vista Start Menu Emulator programs (ViStart, etc.) are good for people that enjoy the Vista Start Menu. I have searched endlessly for an XP Start Menu Emulator to no avail.

Hopefully someone on here can help.

What I am looking for is simply a start menu for Vista that emulates parts of the XP Start Menu. There was one change to the Vista start menu, that I found to be positive, and that is the search feature.

There was one change though, I found to be bad, even annoying at times. That change, is the all programs list no longer expands out but rather appears in the start menu itself, with a scroll bar. This may be fine on large screens, but the only time I use Vista is on a 14.1 laptop.

The solution:

A start menu that can successfully replace the current start menu (similar to what ViStart does for XP). The start menu would have all the features of the Vista start menu [search, ability to choose what is the menu (computer, serach, documents, number of recent programs, etc)], EXCEPT, all programs would expand out. I would find this to be very helpful, as I believe others would too.
It would also be nice if the start menu emulator would change with the theme chose on Vista, but for now that is just icing on the cake.

I myself can program a few different languages (C/C++, Java, Ada, VB, and some scripts) but have no experience, no how, starting point, etc. when it comes to applications such as a start menu emulator, my only guess is that it would be a Win 32 application.

If anyone has any input, has happen to find a program that does this, or if someone would is thinking of starting a project to do this, give some feedback.

Thank you.

Posted 6 years ago

Flyndre

I have been looking for the exact same thing and I have been searching a lot around too. Haven't been able to find anything yet.

Posted 6 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

Well, now that this forum is started, we can use it as a form of communication on the topic, and hopefully the more people we find that are interested, or get interested in this, we will have a higher chance or finding one, or possibly having one made.

Posted 6 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

I wanted to get this thread back up near the top to see if any interest has raised or if anyone has actually found a program to do this.

Posted 6 years ago

Flyndre

Apparently not :/

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

And why would anyone running Vista, want it to look like XP?

Posted 6 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

Lighthouse, I do not want Vista to look like XP. I am not trying to be rude, so if it comes off that way I apologize. Please re-read the original post. The LOOK would still be Vista, the only implementation from XP would be the expanding "All Programs" menu, rather than opening the list within the Start Menu as Vista does. Note I am not referring to "Classic View." I am referring to the default view in XP. I still want all the extras that Vista has, such as the search box, I simply want the "All Programs" to expand out.

Flyndre and I have shown interest in this, and many people out most likely also would like to see this. I have talked to two or three people personally that would like to see this.

Posted 6 years ago

snugglez64
snugglez64

i think an app like this would be great as i personally cant stand the vista start/all programmes layout .. i really miss the xp fly out of all prorammes...

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

My mistake jmcguire. :(
Do you not like Quick Launch?

OK. It can be done, if you want to experiment a little?
It does mean losing one of your existing Start Menu items (I tried it out on "Music")

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Like this?

Posted 6 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

@Lighthouse - Assuming that is your All Programs list, that is exactly how I would like it to look. I would just like it to come out of All Programs.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Yep, that is one of my All Programs lists.

Posted 6 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

Well now that this topic is rolling, does anyone have any clue as to how to change the All Programs "button" to expand in the same way, Lighthouse's experiment does? I assume this would take some coding, hopefully nothing too crazy though.

Posted 6 years ago

snugglez64
snugglez64

@lighthouse - how did u mod ur start menu like that?? i need 2 know..

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

How much you willin' to pay?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

It's now more like this...

Posted 6 years ago

snugglez64
snugglez64

lighthouse, u the man.. that is f.n awesome!!! i have sum zim dollars, how does 5billion sound?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

You will have to let me Beta test it for a few weeks :(

Posted 6 years ago

snugglez64
snugglez64

no prob, u my hero!

Posted 6 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

That is awesome Lighthouse, a huge first step in achieving the final goal!

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.