The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - XP Won't Start from CD on Newer PC

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by grasshopper
  • Latest reply from Xhi
  • Topic Viewed 1014 times

grasshopper

In trying to set up XP on a new partition on my newer PC, XP loads from the CD drive but when it tries to start, I get the following blue screen error message:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps: Check for viruses on your computer, Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer. Technical information: *** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D663C, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

Win 7 runs fine so I would think that should rule out the hard drive issues. A complete virus scan was run but the problem persists. The hardware is an HP Omni 220-1080qd all-in-one desktop with an Intel i7-2600S quad core processor and 8 Gb memory. I used Windows disk management to shrink the C:/ partition by 20Gb and formatted the new 20Gb XP partition with NTFS. HP tech support was not helpful.

Any ideas on how to get XP to start?

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

XP does not have the latest SATA drivers on it's install disk. These have to be slipstreamed into the install disk. If your "newer PC" is SATA this may be your problem.

Posted 1 year ago

nosparks

If your intent is to just use XP occasionally or for something specific perhaps you would be better using VMplayer from https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_player/5_0 and installing XP into a virtual machine. This is the route I took to be able to simulate other peoples XP with Office 2003 and keep it separate from my Win7 and Office 2010. There is also the bonus of running the XP for just short times without rebooting.

There's a ton of articals online for this.

Posted 1 year ago

grasshopper

I think you may have the answer, my PC has a Hitachi SATA hard drive. Can you recommend a good procedure to do this?

As to the XP virtual machine option, as you say, Office runs ok but I want to run Autocad LT 2000 which, according to several users doesn't run well in a virtual PC environment without extensive tweaking.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Perhaps this SATA Drivers - Slipstream into Windows XP CD

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!