The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - xp Windows doesn't recognize G Tech NTSF drive

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by alamiss
  • Latest reply from alamiss
  • Topic Viewed 906 times

alamiss

I need some help getting my Windows XP laptop to recognize my G Technology (NTSF) external drive. Is there any reason why it shouldn't? G Tech works fine backing up my Vista computer.

Thanks

Ray

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

It's probably a driver problem. Go to the G Technology web site and see if there are drivers for XP. What model do you have? Did a disk come with it?

Posted 1 year ago

alamiss

You might hae saved me again. I wasn't thinking. Just found the disk. I'll run it on the laptop, see what happens, and report back.

Thanks

Ray

Posted 1 year ago

alamiss

I could find no driver updtes on CD or web site. The G-tech drive does show up in disc mangement as Disk 1, 931 GB Healthy(GPT Protective Partition) with no drive letter listed in the pane above. It will not take a drive letter at this time. The drive was formatted previously for my desktop Vista computer. I've been using it for at least 2 years, and love it. It doesn't show being formatted in the XP laptop. Does the G-Tech have to be formatted for each computer? If I do have to format for the XP will I lose the backups from the Vista computer?

Thanks for your answers and your patience.

Ray

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

Is the drive formatted as NTFS?

Data off, format as fat 32 on your right click option

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

"In Windows XP Professional, you cannot access or modify GPT disk, but you can convert a GPT disk to MBR". How to delete GPT Protective Partition However You will lose all data when you do this.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

alamiss

Thanks guys

I'm a little slow here. Formatting is unique to the PC's and their operating systems, and not to the G-TGech Drive. Is that correct? Can I retain the NTSF format In Vista and format FAT 32 on the XP computer. I really wanted to use NTSF on both computers. If I convert the Laptop XP disc format to MBR, can I then format it NTSF at that point?

Rayt

Posted 1 year ago

alamiss

Thanks for the replies to this little problem. After I backed up everything and deleted all the backup's rom the G-Tech hard drive, I used the link in Xhi's answer above to delete the GPT protective patition. After doing this, the wizard kicked in and led me through a drive leter assignment and the drive format. I wish I had known all of this earlier. I estimate about 5 hours to format the 1Gb disk. Now I know I could have set larger bites and finished the job quicker.

Looks like I'm back in business and able to use the NTFS format to back up the XP and the Vista PC. Thanks again Xhi.

Ray

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.