(Solved) - XP Install; "BootMGR is Missing" Error

(7 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by JamesTKirk
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 42825 times

JamesTKirk
JamesTKirk

Hello fellow Computer Terminals,

I was running XP, but then I ran into a not detecting the cd drive issue with a virtual drive program so I tried to reinstall XP, but I reinstalled XP from inside of XP. But I guess it probably would have been better to do this with a fresh boot. Anyways, the install wasn't successful and I couldn't restore it. So I deleted the windows file and wanted to start from scratch. Then I put in the XP disk and booted it, and now I get the "BootMGR is Missing" -- "Press CTRL + ALT + DEL to reboot" message. I'm really stuck here. I'm wondering if there is a difference between regular laptops and business laptops that are computer unfriendly? I have absolutely no idea what I can do from here.

-- Captain Kirk

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Do you have the BIOS set to boot from the CD drive?? If not that is the first step. Press any key when it asks to boot from the XP install CD. If the CD is bootable it will have a bootmgr file on it. Install XP.

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Yep you messed up there. Do yo have any data you need to save from the drive ?

Posted 2 years ago

JamesTKirk
JamesTKirk

Hay Xhi, thanks for the reply--
I have the first boot order set to "multibay"; does that mean cd drive? The only other option is to "Boot from Hard Drive" and "Boot from Network" <I guess this means the internet, but without an OS installed, I don't see how this can help>
By the way it doesn't give the "Press any key to boot from CD" when the XP disk is in the drive and I reboot. Instead, underneath the error message of
"BootMGR is Missing", there is the statement, "Press CTRL + ALT + DEL to reboot"
But just in case I reseated the CD drive just to be sure.

Posted 2 years ago

JamesTKirk
JamesTKirk

Hello Lighthouse, how's everything? Good to hear from you!!
There is no data that I want to save on the hard drive. I formated it to "exFat" with a slow process format. But now I couldn't transfer all the data that I wanted to from a second computer to the hard drive. So I formated it a second time -- this time in the "NTFS" format. So I guess a blank hard drive really wouldn't have any useful information on it that would need to be saved. After this I copied over the XP disk with a USB to the hard drive, so theorectically I could install the OS, if only I could get to the dos prompt!!! Stupid laptops. I really think the desktop computers are so much more user friendly -- at least with one of those I could get to a Dos prompt. I don't know why they made laptops to not be able to get to the dos prompt!!!
And just in case, I also transfered over the system files that are contained in the start up disk directly to the hard drive and aren't put in a folder. I also copied the startup disk to the hard drive -- if only I could use them: aaaargh!!!!!!!!!!

-- Captain Kirk

Posted 2 years ago

JamesTKirk
JamesTKirk

thanks for the help guys, now I get the "press any key to boot from the CD"
I tried to install, but unsuccessful upon reboot of setup installation
Tried to install a second time <pressed a key so that it would start a new install>, then chose "r" for Recovery Console
did a "chkdsk /p" command
entered "FixBoot"
finished with "exit"
now i don't get the "BootMGR is Missing" error; its fixed

now i'm left with the typical "A Disk Read Error", which is some other kind of error
i used a recovery disk and installed a different operating system <Linux>
now I installed XP
computer works

-- Captain Kirk

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Run chkdsk /f/r

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.