How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

XP 64 VS Vista Ultimate

(4 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by JKay
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 2676 times

JKay
JKay

So I'm building a PC, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with an AMD/ATi setup, pretty much the best they make. Now I know I'm going to put at least 4gigs of RAM, so I need a 64bit OS. This is going to be a gaming computer either way you look at it... I've never used XP Pro 64, so I dont know which would be better, just looking for suggestions. Thanks in advance

Posted 5 years ago

wallaceb
wallaceb

most games perform better in XP

Posted 5 years ago

JKay
JKay

is that because window areo steals massive amounts of resources? because I've noticed since I've switched back to windows classic on vista it runs a lot better

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

JKay, there are hardcore gamers out there who use Vista and others who swear by XP. Older games will have more compatibility issues in Vista, where "older" is a relative term. Anything older than about 2 years is going to be less likely to run on Vista without either a patch from the developer or the use of Compatibility mode. Even then, there are probably some that just won't play in Vista. Some gamers prefer XP because of these compatibility issues.

Those who do play games in Vista find that the 64-bit versions are even less compatible with games than 32-bit Vista. Aero is not that much of a resource hog when you have 4 GB installed, but it's quite easy to disable it before a game and re-enable after the game. With a game launcher app, you can have this done automatically. The idea that games perform better in XP than Vista is outdated as updated drivers for Vista have basically eliminated the performance gap. Ed Bott explains this in his blog posting:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=458

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!