How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

x86 vs x64

(8 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by zifnab06
  • Latest reply from madmacs
  • Topic Viewed 1743 times

zifnab06

Quick-ish question..

I've got Windows 7 installed right now, the 32 bit version. I have a Intel Core Duo processor, 4GB of RAM, a horrid Intel onboard video card...is there any reason I wouldn't be able to put x64 on this laptop? Do x86 and x64 both run on my processor, and with the amount of RAM i have installed, is x64 worth it?
Thanks

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

I don't think 64bit is worth it in your case, but it would run. You would have to live with certain restriction and might encounter some driver problems.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

zifnab06, it's highly likely that your processor is 64-bit capable. Use Steve Gibson's free utility, Securable, to be certain:
http://www.grc.com/securable.htm

I can't think of a reason that Win7 x64 would not run on your system. You would be able to access all 4GB of RAM that you have. If Win7 is as good as all the reviews say, then it should have no trouble running on your integrated video chip.

Posted 5 years ago

zifnab06

kk...i'll stick with 32bit for now then..Thanks!

Posted 5 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

Am I incorrect in thinking that Core Duo is 32bit and Core 2 Duo is 64 bit?

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

@InDiSent, do you mean the Core Duo for Mac?

Posted 5 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

Just Core Duo and Core 2 Duo in general.

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

No, they arenĀ“t supported with 64 bit!! Although, they could have been (would of been capable) but Intel decided to not let them "address" the 64 bit architecture!! (Core Duo)

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.