The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Wrong icons on desktop shortcuts - Windows 7

(7 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by 5645hx
  • Latest reply from lvct
  • Topic Viewed 13656 times

5645hx

Hi folks, I'm new to this forum and need your help please! Some of the icons on my desktop (ie shortcuts to websites) have the wrong icons. The description below the icon is correct but the icon itself is wrong. I have followed other advice and deleted the icon cache file but this has had no effect. Any ideas gratefully received. Many thanks.

John

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

5645hx,
---
Please explain "Wrong Icons" a little better.
Are they just IE standard icons ??
The icon picture doesn't match the website ??
Etc.. Etc... ??
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

5645hx

Well for instance my shortcut icon to Marks and Spencer might appear on the shortcut to say Lloyds TSB or B&Q. etc. The icon for Lloyds TSB might appear elsewhere. They seem to change for no apparent reason. These are icons that come from the website. The links work but are displaying a different websites icon. Hope this makes it clearer.

John

Posted 4 years ago

fermain

It happens on mine too in the same way but mine change to windows IE icons.
Haven't found the answer either.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Try deleting your iconcache. It's at,
C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\IconCache.db
Then reboot.

Posted 4 years ago

5645hx

I've deleted the iconcache once again. Yes it worked this time although yesterday it made no difference. However in my experience it won't be many days before it goes haywire again! Any ideas to whats causing it? Thanks all of you for your input so far.

John

Posted 4 years ago

lvct

@ fermain
This fix works for me in vista (not sure about other OSs) Right click the "IE icon" and select "add to quick launch". Then delete the desktop icon. Right click the quick launch entry and from the dropdown menu highlight "send to" and click "desktop (create shortcut)". The icon will now be back to it's original state. If you don't want it in quick launch as well, just delete it from there.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!