The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

(Solved) - Wrong forum posts

(32 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by warlock
  • Latest reply from jmeeks49
  • Topic Viewed 679 times

warlock

Has anyone else noticed that the Assistive Tech forum name is confusing new posters?

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

Joe, yes just moved one to XP.
Had a talk about this with John earlier.

It is a difficult one to rename fore sure.

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

warlock

Your right about naming. Maybe put it up for suggestions. I think when John first started his forum it was discussed but, now that it is up and running a name adjustment may be needed to avoid confusion.

Posted 2 years ago

jmeeks49

Joe and Mike,

I tried to name the forum for what it is if you want to put it out there for a name change then go for it but i did put a "sticky" out saying what Assistive Tech was all about. To me, (and this will be up to Lowell) I think we need a way to force a new OP to read the information before hand before they enter the forum. As you very well know and can see there are more computer related questions than AT. I am not running down people who needs computer help and i know that the site is cater to that which is fine but i have worked hard at maintaining the forum but i can't do it alone and no i am not talking about you in general you have been awesome promoting the forum. i am talking about different OPS new OPS new questions new situations. Mike we touched on this last night and i was thinking that the above would work with a name change.

your thoughts???

John

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

@John, I know about the sticky and probably most other regular members here do too. But, when your have a computer problem and come to HTG for help as a newcomer, you chances are don't check for a sticky. It's not just the Assistive Tech site either but, I think it is more prevalent on that one. IE: OP has a problem with MS Office but has W7 so thats where they post. Assistive Tech if your new looks like a tech will assist you.

You are right, may be a way to have a (Which forum should I choose) explaination before posting. Would be tough though.

Posted 2 years ago

Scott

Hopefully there are folks benefited by the forum, the amount of time we mods spend cleaning it up is moot.

Posted 2 years ago

jmeeks49

Joe,

Maybe we need to have the sticky as a gateway to the forum and once they understand the sticky they could hit enter or something to enter the forum i don't know but that would be one option.

John

Posted 2 years ago

jmeeks49

Scott,

i try to keep it tidy as the best way possible but as you know it's almost impossible at times to do so, Xhi has helped in that department and i appreciate it mike has to i can't do it because i don't have access to go through the posts and move them accordingly wish i could then i wouldn't have to bother the Mods.

John

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

@John, Maybe you are on to something. Maybe there is a way when you create a topic and have to pick a section to put your post in, a short explaination would come up.

@Scott mods. always do a good job. Not a knock on them.

Posted 2 years ago

jmeeks49

@Joe Yeah,

i would think that would cut down on moving threads to the right forums

@Scott i wasn't knocking anybody Mods or otherwise was just trying to be helpful providing ideas to the problem..

John

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

@John, Not a major problem for me anyway. Just happened to notice threads posted in the wrong forum more this weekend. Not just on yours.

Was also thinking, maybe on the home page or forum page something to the effect (those with special needs please visit our Assistive Tech forum).

Posted 2 years ago

Scott

Let's just say that moving posts to any particular forum is not the highest priority of the mods. I have always looked out for AT though and have managed to keep it clean through the months.

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

This topic I started earlier today was simply a question. Didn't mean for it to snowball this much. Wish I hadn't asked the question here now.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Why not name it Disability Tech or Disabilities Tech ??

Many know I am disabled and the wording does not hurt my feelings but is descriptive of personal circumstances.

No need for political correctness here as Disabled is world recognized descriptive term
for folks who have special needs.

Posted 2 years ago

Scott

Guys, no reason to regret anything. I was just letting you know in the scope the things that are done, moving all posts to their precise forum is not a priority.

@ Jim, I never implied you were knocking the mods, where did you get that from?

@ Rick, I love that idea and will change it this evening if you guys want.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Disability Tech or Disabilities Tech would be much more descriptive term for the category on the forum. :)

Posted 2 years ago

Scott

Sounds good to me Rick, waiting for a quorum :)
Or even a second....

how U doin'?

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

I will second if your looking for one.
Edit: I think John Meeks should have a say though.

Posted 2 years ago

Scott

Done and done.

Let's give this a shot. Kudos to y'all for bringing it up.
With any luck,folks will recognize it's not the place to bash Internet Explorer.

Posted 2 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

I'll cast my vote for disabled. I'm also disabled and have no qualms over the term, especially for this usage since it is very descriptive.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.