The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Workstation login for XP

(11 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Russellkaren1
  • Latest reply from Russellkaren1
  • Topic Viewed 1629 times

Russellkaren1

How can I disable the workstation login for XP and just have a "general login"?

Posted 6 years ago

AlanMcC

Are you refering to the little icons when logging in. If so you need to disable the user swithching option. If you are refering to havinf no login and just goes straight to desktop you need to have no passwords on the accounts, and only one acocunt enabled ( disable the guest )

To disable User switching
1) Click on Start
2) Click on Control Panel
3) Double-click on User Accounts
4) Click on "Change the way users log on or off"
5) Uncheck "Use the Welcome Screen" (note: this will also disable "Fast User Switching")
6) Click on Apply Options
7) Close the User Accounts window and the Control Panel
8) The next time you reboot your computer, the classic login prompt will be used

Regards, AlanMcC

Posted 6 years ago

Russellkaren1

When I turn my laptop on it goes to a "Novell Work-station Log-in"; I want to disable this and just use my regular "Windows XP Professional login" or go straight to my desktop. I am the only user of this laptop. Thoughts?

Posted 6 years ago

AlanMcC

Go to add / Remove programs in teh control panel and uninstall Novell Client

Regards, AlanMcC

Posted 6 years ago

Russellkaren1

Sorry to be so stupid, but I need a little more info. I'm more of a PC user and less of an IT tech. I went to the add/remove programs and couldn't see it.

Posted 6 years ago

Russellkaren1

I own my own business and work on my own PCs; with the proper directions I am able to make adjustments. Regards-Karen

Posted 6 years ago

AlanMcC

What you have installed is the novell Netware application, it is used to conenct to netware networks. In order to remove it you must have lcoal administrator rights on pc concerned.

Open Add / remove programs and look for any applications metioning novell, netware

If worst comes to the worst and you cant see it, type the list of software you have on the machine here, without mentioning microsoft or other applicaitons you are already aware of and i should be able to tell you which one

Or worst again, you have the Novel Network cleint installed in which case you are looking at load of hassle and a OS reisntall is better

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q150925/

Regards, AlanMcC

Posted 6 years ago

Russellkaren1

I am listed as the administrator, this is what I found:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Novell
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Novell\CLSID
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Novell\Graphical Login
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Novell\LIBRARY
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Novell\Location Profiles
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Novell\LoginHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Novell\NetWareWorkstation
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Novell\Network ProviderHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Novell\NWGINA
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Novell\Parameters

Posted 6 years ago

AlanMcC

https://secure-support.novell.com/KanisaPlatform/Publishing/420/3979598_f.SAL_Public.html

Hope this helps

My honest opinion is to do a fresh install of xp on the machine if you have the patients

Regards, Alan

Posted 6 years ago

AlanMcC

Just be aware of something, this client is installed using the netowrk control panel,and be uninstalled using this, if you dont have access to it, you are better reinstalling teh OS as you will probably recieve errors after using the stpes i linkd to above.

Regards, Alan

Posted 6 years ago

Russellkaren1

Got it thanks!

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!