How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Working on an article series about Vista / XP dual-booting - need suggestions

(9 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by The Geek
  • Latest reply from thedudester
  • Topic Viewed 2045 times

thegeek
The Geek

I'm working on a series about dual-booting with Vista and XP, and I figured I'd solicit suggestions for the topics to cover.

The first article will be about installing Windows XP onto a computer that comes with Vista already on it.

I've got a few ideas for other similar topics, but I'd like to hear your suggestions

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

When faced with my own dual booting issues not to long ago I turned to numerous pages and forums for help. There really is a lot of content out there.

Here's an idea to help differentiate you from the rest: write a program that users can click which OS they have and which OS they want to install next. You'll have to cover the 4 major OS's though, we'll see you next around Labor Day :)

-or some type of cross reference model
-I guess some even tri-boot too now

Posted 6 years ago

supermansghost
supermansghost

That would be cool, but would it install the other OS too ?

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

To be clear, this would just be a manual, a cross reference tool that covered the 4 major OS's - a majority of dual boot installations.

I'll post a picture in the morning.

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

It would be great if you could explain how sharing files between OS's works. I need to know if I have to install programs twice and if I can access my music on my Vista partition or if I need to make a new partition for that.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Very good points, taybay... I'll cover them in an article.

You do have to install programs twice, but you should be able to access the music on the other partition if you wanted to.

The best thing is usually to create a new partition for data if you have the space, as it makes reinstalling much easier... you can wipe the other partitions and not lose your data.

Posted 6 years ago

supermansghost
supermansghost

You should also write about the restore points problem.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I've posted the first article in the series!

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-computer/

sg, I'll write about that as well.

update: moved this topic into the Vista forum where it belongs

Posted 6 years ago

thedudester

You should write about how to fix the shrink partition problem this guy is having. from reading other forums, a lot of people have this problem.

http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....?replies=2

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!