SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Workaround possible for inoperative HP Scan Button?

(4 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by RonCam
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 1255 times

RonCam

I need a way to make stimon.exe or stisvc.exe think the Scan Button on my (new) HPscanner has been pressed. A Desktop Icon to either a Windows Shortcut or some type of utility would be ideal, but am open to other suggestions. So far, Google searches have turned up nothing.

<

Both of these (stimon, stisvc) are present, and the service is definitely running on my system, so it's not a matter of configuring anything, and the Scan Button on my previous scanner works just fine.

<

HP has made their new scanners backwardly incompatible, rather than compatible. In fact, they flat-out state their newer scanners won't trigger the "Event on Device" box, on an OS (Windows 2000 Professional) that worked with the older, so I think that a work-around is the only way to go.

<

I should point out that the specs on the box, as well as what the store will tell you, say nothing about this. You won't know it until you've bought the product, loaded the software, and happen to come across it in the README file. A word to the wise ...

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Why do you want to do that? Why not just open the scanning program and click the scan button (Or Similar)?

Posted 6 years ago

RonCam

@jd2066:
Good answer, it is a workaround for an inoperative scan button, so it does fit the thread's topic.
But, not what I'm hoping to find, in the context of the entire post.
<br>In answer to "why?", the (hardware) Scan Button (at least on my prior non-HP-scanner) doesn't just open the imaging application, but also the image-input dialog window, without having to "mouse through" Menu selections.

<br>Unfortunately, none of my applications present a "scan button" (or similar) immediately after launch. In other words, I'd like to make the new HP function at least as conveniently as did the old Logitech.
<br>In the meantime, anyone else? A direct way to open both the imaging application and the scanning dialogue window, so the application is open and set to receive scanner input, directly and without intermediate steps?

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

Ok. You can try looking at the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\StillImage\Registered Applications
It contains the programs and arguments that the services would launch when the scan button is pressed.
I don't know if they work without the services launching them though.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!