The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

Word could not create the work file....temp environment

(5 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Jeremiah
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 5219 times

Jeremiah

I am having a problem with all of my MS Office files, I am unable to save any documents, and if I try to, Word could not create the work file....temp environment comes up. I have looked under other forums and I was directed to go under environment variables and delete the temp files. Instead by mistake I deleted the user variables. Ooops. Is this something that can be fixed?

I appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you,

Jeremiah

Posted 6 years ago

whs

What system - XP or Vista? What office - 2003 or 2007?

Posted 6 years ago

Jeremiah

Vista, Office 2007

Posted 6 years ago

whs

Easiest would be to go back to a restore point from before you deleted the user variables. Also, If you know the path of the user variables folder, you can recover it from a restore point (shadow) with Shadow Explorer - this is the easier solution. Both approaches do, of course, require a valid restore point from before the deletion. The restore point situation you can check with Command Prompt (open as administrator) and type in VSSADMIN LIST SHADOWS. That will list all your restore points - they are dated.
If you need more guidance on the Shadow Explorer method, come back and I will tell you - but prerequisite is a valid shadow (restore point) and you need the path to the folder you are looking for.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066

@whs: Environment variables are stored in the registry so System Restore may work as I think it keeps a copy of the registry but Shadow Explorer probably wouldn't work.

@Jeremiah: How many user variables were there? If it was just the default two then you should be able to recreate them. Here is a list of what those two are:
TEMP - %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp
TMP - %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp

Also where did you get the info on this? I'm not sure how deleting the variables could help.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.