The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Word 2007 Resize multiple photos

(11 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by RadleyBoo
  • Latest reply from RadleyBoo
  • Topic Viewed 23528 times

RadleyBoo

i want to resize multiple photos inserted to a word doc to the same size. when inserted they are too large to fit multiple photos on a page. i know how resize them one by one, but i was hoping to avoid this tedious way.

Posted 3 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

While photos can be "resized" in Word by dragging a corner to a smaller size, doing so tends to make them look a bit blurry and the size the photo takes up on your HDD remains the same. It is much better to resize the photo in a graphics editing program before pasting it into Word. A good free program for resizing either single photos or batches of photos is Infranview. To rsize multiple photos to the same size, click on "File," then "Batch Conversion/Rename". Click on either "Batch Conversion" or "Batch Conversion - Rename result files." Under "Output format," select the file tyoe you want to save the reduced file as. If starting with a compressed file type and you will be saving as a compressed file type (such as .jpg to.jpg), click "Options" alongside the "Output format" and set the quality to "Good."

Click on the little box next to "Use Advanced Options (for bulk resize...)" then click to the right on "Advanced." Click on "Resize," enter the desired size, then click on OK. If you opted to rename the output files, enter the new name under "Name pattern," using the sample as a guide to how to fill it out. The "#" symbols are used to determine how many digits you want in the file number (example, ### will give a series of digits like, 001, 002, 003, etc.).

Under "Output Directory for result files," I strongly suggest using a different location for your resized photos, especially if you are not renaming them. it can either be a folder somewhere or the desktop itself (I use a temporary folder on my desktop to avoid clutter). Click on "Browse" to set where you want your resized photos to wind up.

Moving to the right, in 'Look in," find the folder with the photos you want resized. CTRL click each photo you want to resize and click on "ADD" below there or, if you want to resize every photo in the folder, just click on "Add all."

Go to the left rear corner and click "Start Batch" and let Infranview do its thing. When finished, just exit your way out.

Accepted Answer · Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

The easiest is to draw boxes of the same size (with Insert tab > Shapes) on the page and insert the pictures into the boxes. If you tell me the size and how many you want, I can quickly make you one and upload it.

Posted 3 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

@whs Even if you frame the pictures in Word using shapes or charts (the latter is better, btw), an oversized picture pasted into it will be a bit blurry and will increase the size of the Word file by the same amount as the original, oversized picture. It is much better to resize the picture itself before pasting it into Word.

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

I really don't know what you are talking about. Here is an example and I don't know what's blurry about it.

Posted 3 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

@whs, Using Word 2007 and when I select insert picture it is not the same as previous picture in layout. You didn't have to resize pic before inserting?

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

No resize required. The picture will assume the size of the box you defined.

Posted 3 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

Draw 1 box then copy & paste to fill page, equal spacing. Highlight box 1 and insert a picture it is displayed outside of box lines

Posted 3 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

Line drawings will show the blurring more than actual photos. It depends a lot on the display device used. Still, some blurring occurs, albeit slight (the sample photos you posted are slightly blurred when viewed on a 23" monitor). Blurred or not, the fact remains if you take a 1MB photo, paste it into Word to display at 10% the original size, either directly and dragged to size or into a box, it will still add 1MB to the size of the Word doc. However, if one first reduces the photo to 10% with a graphics program, the photo will then add only 50k to the Word doc. This difference is magnified by the number of photos added to the Word doc. A doc that has 10 photos in will be increased by 10MB if full sized photos are reduced in Word whereas only 50k will be added if the photos are reduced before inserting into Word, a huge difference.

Using a box to force a photo to resize also results in an outline surrounding the photo. This may be good or bad, depending on the needs of the end user.

The best way to position inserted photos is by the use of frames created using Word's table functions. It's easier than using shapes, once one learns how, and allows captions under a photo to be formatted and positioned independently of the main text in a Word doc. However, direct pasting is easier for a beginner to do than framing or using shapes if the photo is the correct size to begin with.

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

I buy the filesize observation. But that may not matter depending what you do with it. If stored as .docx, it matters. But if stored as .pdf or snipped as .jpg or .png, it does not matter. The suggested "blurring" effect I have never observed (on a 22" monitor).

Posted 3 years ago

RadleyBoo

thanks all! i'll explore your suggestions.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.