The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

Word 2007 paste from web blank unless unformatted

(4 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by ann13820
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 2663 times

ann13820

Suddenly, when I try to paste from any web page, Word 2007 just sits stupidly as if I had done nothing unless I Paste-special-unformatted. No reaction at all from Ctrl-V or Paste. I think I've tried every possible combination in the Cut/Copy/Paste section of the Advanced area in Word Options. It doesn't work with everything at default. I am a very long-term merry cut-and-paster... all day every day (I'm a grant writer) and have been working extensively with Office 2007 for a couple of months. No problem until today. I'm gnashing my teeth and writhing on the floor. Help!
BTW, I tried clearing the clipboard and also pasting into Excel (works).
Eternally grateful,
Karen
~~~ on my way to missing a deadline ~~~ :(

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

So the clipboard and paste work, just not with Word, right? My guess would be that you have a corrupted Word system file - has happened to me before. Can you reinstall Word?

Posted 6 years ago

ann13820

Thanks for answering. Clipboard and paste work everywhere, including in Word. It's just the copy/paste from the web that doesn't work in Word anymore unless I paste-special it in unformatted, which is OK, just more time consuming and cumbersome.
Unfortunately, I work remotely on a notebook and my home office is 250 miles away... If it's a corrupted file, I guess I'll just have to work around it until I can get there.
Is there anything else it could be?

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

As a workaround for the interim I can suggest the following: Rather than copying the webpage, print it to a PDF printer. The one I use is doPDF. It works well. All you do is highlight the part of the webpage you want to copy (print), press CTL+P, in Page Range choose "Selection", in Select Printer you take "doPDF" and off you go. In the next window you can choose where to store the PDF file. Then you can copy and paste from there.
This may sound a little complex, but once you are set up with doPDF it is really very simple and straight forward.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.