The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Wondering

(7 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Wregey
  • Latest reply from 0zSpitt
  • Topic Viewed 1122 times

Wregey

I am considering switching to one of the Linux systems and was wondering if i would be able to still use my Lexmark printer,Rocketfish wireless mouse,Norton and Regcure scan programs ext.?

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

Norton and Regcure won't work on linux, although they really aren't needed there anyway.

The printer should work, but isn't always easy to setup, and the mouse should work, but sometimes the extra buttons are difficult to get working.

Posted 6 years ago

whs

What I read out of this is "Linux sucks". The nearly automated world of Vista is really a blessing compared to that. It may be OK for little toys like the Eee or for companies that have a big professional IT staff to manage all that. But what is the advantage of Linux for the average user?

Posted 6 years ago

The Geek

Linux on the desktop is simply not a great experience yet for the average user. It doesn't mean that Linux sucks, just means it's not geared towards regular people quite yet.

Posted 6 years ago

fastbullet

If I didn't know it before, I now know I am a "regular" and "average" people. Linux is still giving me fits. The problem is, I don't find this comforting at all.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse

fastbullet. Would you like to go to the "Off Topic" forum? We have ways of making you better :)

Posted 6 years ago

0zSpitt

i experiment with ubuntu and i don't find anything, so far, to be difficult. unless i have to get into the terminal and start changing things, then i get lost sometimes. the forums are easy to follow, i really haven't needed to go to them that much. the only things i haven't found yet are two small items. i can't find a tv tuner set-up like windows media center and my sound doesn't seem as clear. i've got all the graphics going i can find in a basic set up. no beryl themes will install, though.
if you do basic surfing, or check email, etc. this is a pretty good operating system. i'm trying to talk a few people into installing it because their pirated versions of xp is horrible. so far everything has worked, even my ati drivers. im going to download some music from jamendo to see how well it works and how it files everything.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.