SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

wireless problems in ubuntu 8.04 hardy (solved)

(15 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Latest reply from jack7h3r1pp3r
  • Topic Viewed 4100 times

jack7h3r1pp3r

ok so i have my wireless card working in my laptop in ubuntu 8.04 and i can scan to see if networks are around and i can see them and do basicly everything that it should do but actually connect to a network. i have tried a few different networks but neither of them actually got connected though. one said that it was so much percentage connected but i could not access anything on the web.

here is the model of my laptop: HP Pavillion dv6914nr Entertainment Notebook PC

here is the card i have in the laptop: Atheros 802.11 wireless LAN card

i used the amd section of this article to get it working this far: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/athe.....heron.html

all help is very much apreciated :) i would really like to get this working because what is a laptop without wireless lol :) thx in advance

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

dang i put this in vista again lol could a mod please move it to the linux forum

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

thx to the mod who moved to linux forum i wish there was a way to leave the forum selection blank and then make you choose which one you want to put it in and not have the default vista because i seem to always forget lol

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Jack,

Sounds like you a have a 50/50 chance after reading all the post.

Here is one I thought was interesting.
=======================
"When i find some network and my wicd won’t connect,
then i go to the console and type:

sudo ifconfig wlan0 down
sudo ifconfig wlan0 hw ether xxxxxxxx

The xxx must be replaced by your mac-adress"
=======================
Kindest Regards,
Rick P. ♥ :)

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

ok i see i did get connected to a secure net work my friend has but i can't ever get connected to the public ones or i don't get fully connected but i will try out your solution and see if it works and post back probably tomorrow

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

ok i think that i may have it figured out now but now sure as i haven't been able to test it yet though lol i hope it works though i got my fingers crossed

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Jack,

It you are successful using the MAC solution in my above post, you might want to write up a short How-To because most folks don't know what a MAC number is. Good info to share with all members, especially for those using laptops, which can access "Hot Spots" like Star-Bucks coffee shops, etc.

This is kinda/sorta (new?) Geekness in US (LOL) (LOL).

Kindest Regards,

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

well i'm not really even sure what a mac address is lol. it's just a hardware address right? but i don't really know too much on that subject but i guess that i could do a bit of research and maybe make a write up

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

Jack,

Well, I guess the question is:

Did you get the Atheros 802.11 wireless card working yet so you get on-line at different "Hot Spots" or on different network systems ??
That is a MUST if Ubuntu 8.04 is going to be successful against other O/Ses.
Kindest Regards,

Posted 6 years ago

gaurang

try this help .... http://ubuntu-utah.ubuntuforum.....p?t=795984 ...

it should work ... bcoz .. it helped me to setup madwifi for my atheros and it works super smooth ...

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

i'm sure that works but i'm running 64-bit so it doesn't help me out. and i think it's working but i'll have to do more testing because i was just driving around town and trying to connect to wireless networks lol when i really get it figured out i'll let you guys know

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

@rick your way does help woot :)
but now i only need to use it when i close my laptop lid and it goes into sleep mode and when i open it back up i just have to do those 2 commands and i'm good :)

and i also did this too:

sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces
then added
pre-up /sbin/ifconfig wlan0 hw ether 00:1f:e2:ab:6c:70
after whatever else is in the file. 00:1f:e2:ab:6c:70 is my MAC address which you can find by typing
ifconfig
in terminal- HWaddr is your MAC address

thx for the help rick and i hope this info can help someone else too :)

all is good here in my wireless world now lol

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

does any one know how to make it so i don't have to put those 2 commands in whenever i take it out of sleep mode?

Posted 6 years ago

raphoenix

@Jack,

Glad to help you ANY time.

Why don't you delete last post and re-post your last question on a new Topic so Moderator can call your first issue (SOLVED) ??

Kindest Regards,

Posted 6 years ago

jack7h3r1pp3r

because i don't really need a new topic lol :) and i called this one solved all ready hehe

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.