How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Wireless Mouse/Windows8

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by ricks
  • Latest reply from Xhi
  • Topic Viewed 537 times

ricks
ricks

I bought 2 Asus laptops for each of my kids. I also got them a cheap wireless mouse them and they don't work most of the time. These are from ebay that use a dongle. What could I do to fix this?

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

Buy less-cheaper ones.

In all seriousness, maybe an interference issue?
Try not to connect them in the USB3.0 ports (if there's any and if that's where they are connected to).
Also on USB, make sure drivers are up to date.
On ASUS there's usually a ASUS Live Update utility (see the little icon next to the clock). Make sure all these updates are done aswell.

You can always manually search for newer versions of drivers and utilities.

http://support.asus.com/
Click 'Download', then on the new page 'Automatic Model Detection' - it will ask to install a small plugin, accept/install that then hit 'GO'
Confirm OS version then browse for the available drivers and utilities.

Note on the ATK package (if you must update it).
If you manually update ATK package, you MUST uninstall it (from Control Panel - Programs and Features) BEFORE installing the new version. Reinstalling OVER an existing ATK driver will not work.

--edit: don't go manually updating anything until you've check the already-installed Asus Live Update utility.
I'd suggest you go look for Win8 drivers for the mouse before starting to mess with the system. After all, cheap mouse are cheaper to fix (read: throw away) than wasting time trying to 'fix' the computer and ending up 'breaking' it.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Get more expensive mice??

Although I have never had any trouble with cheap or expensive mice. I would test them on a Windows 7 or earlier OS just to make sure it is not a Windows 8 driver problem.

Posted 1 year ago

ricks
ricks

They work great on Windows 7.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

But they are not up to par with windows 8. Windows 8 drivers may be different and some mice may not work or have the appropriate drivers. All the mice that I have used with Windows 8 have worked. Therefore I must conclude that those particular mice, both the same make and model I assume, will not work with Windows 8. No sense in wasting further time with them. If under warranty return them. Is there any indication on the package or documentation that they will work with Windows 8?

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.