The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Wireless Internet problem

(6 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by nugar
  • Latest reply from nugar
  • Topic Viewed 1367 times

nugar

Hi I have a Billion 7300GRA wireless modem/router and a Belkin F5D7000au network card and have this problem where the signal strength always seems to be around the low 30's upto 50 and no more, I am running Windows 7 so whether this could be the cause I don't know. My wife has a Dell Latitude Laptop and the signal strength on that is alway around the high 80's to low 90's. Also could this be due to the fact that I have to use the Vista drivers to get the network card to run seeing as Belkin don't have any Windows 7 drivers yet. So if anyone has this same problem or knows how to increase the signal stregth it would be most appreciated.

Posted 4 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

nugar, hello. How are you measuring the signal strength? What connection speeds are you getting?

I don't see why Vista drivers would cause poor signal strength in Windows 7.

Posted 4 years ago

madjack1987
madjack1987

Hi nugar,

I agree with ScottW on this and doubt its the drivers. Have you looked at things like poitioning? Obviously things like walls, distance and keeping your router in a lead box are going to affect (effect?) on the signal strenth.

I noticed the devices you mentioned both have aerials, the signal transmits from the aerial in a perpendicular fashion - not as a big ball your box probabily shows. make sure you dont have one pointing straight up and the other parrallel with the floor.

Also make sure that there are no obstructions on or around the router and lastly if you know of any steel pipes or copper wires in the walls that are in direct line of site between the devices then thats a problem, they are instant signal killers

Posted 4 years ago

purplesunrise

i have a problem with my HP cv600 laptop. it wont connect with WiFi. when I go into control panel and click on network connections, only the "1934 Connection" and "Local Area Connection" appear in the folder where the wireless connection also used to appear. when i tried to reinstall the driver for the wireless card, the installer came up with a message saying "access is denied". I'm normally good at figuring this kind of stuff out, but this one has me stumped. I need help please
voiture simulation de credit immobilier en ligne - Simulation credit immobilier en ligne. L’Internet a rendu encore plus facile d’obtenir de l’aide pour trouver le credit immobilier.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

purplesunrise. Welcome to the forum. Please could you post your problem in a New Topic. Thankyou.

Posted 4 years ago

nugar

Sorry for the delay in responding, had to go away for a few days. Currently I am measuring signal strength using a program called InSIIder and it show a signal strength of around -60 to -65dBm, even so I seem to be downloading on a 1500 connection at around the 130 -150kBs speeds which I believe are about right (or so I have been told). The distance between router and PC is about 10-12' and I only have the very corner of 1 wall in the way so that shouldn't affect it too much, both aerials are pointing straight up so other than that not too sure what causes the low signal strength. I now have bigger aerials connected both are 10db size but there is still no change in signal strength, so I guess I'm stuck with the lower strength, and will have to wait and see what happens once belkin release their windows 7 drivers.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!