How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Wireless Card Troubles

(15 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by hArLtRoN
  • Latest reply from hArLtRoN
  • Topic Viewed 392 times

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

I have a TP-LINK TL-WN951N (Revision 1.1) wireless card. I've had it since I think April of last year.

Now to the problem. It was working good until I did I clean install a few days ago. Now once the drivers have been installed for it, there is a yellow triangle next to the card in Device Manager. When I open the properties of the card it displays "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" under Device Status.
I have tried the drivers on the disc that came with it, the most recent downloaded from the TP-LINK website and even the drivers that Windows has built in for the chipset this card contains. Nothing is working.

I do not have an image or backup to go back to, I thought I had one on my external but it was the one for my laptop. I did not realize this until my desktop as already formatted. (I know shame on me)

I really need to get this working as fast as I can because I do a majority of my school work on it. I can do it on my laptop but it is much easier on the desktop.

Anyone have an idea as to what is going on?

Computer is running Windows 7 SP1 x64
MB: ASUS M4A785-M

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Try removing the card and re-seating it.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

I have done that a few times. Tried a different PCI port as well.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

May be the Hardware is faulty ???

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

I'm starting to think so. I've tried everything I know to get it working.

I forgot to say this in the first post but my internet speed was starting to get really slow no matter the location in my room. And resetting the router would help for about 5-10 mins.

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

If you have a test machine handy it could be worth trying to install on that, if its the same problem then having (you) tried everything else my thought would be faulty h/w.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

Unfortunately I do not have a test machine (I wish I did though).

I'm gonna link my laptop up to it so that I have at least slow-ish internet on it.

Side note: I know its the wireless card that is causing the problem not my router because the other 10+ devices on the network are connecting just fine.

Thanks for your suggestions GS! :)

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Can you connect the desktop to the laptop (ethernet cable), and access the net that way ?

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

Yes. I will be able to do that until I get a new card.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Well it's a stopgap. And cards are cheap enough.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

Yeah I just have to wait a week or two until I have money to buy it.

It'll work for now.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

You can get them for the price of a Hamburger and a shake. $9.99 US and up. I've used a lot of the 9.99 versions without problem.

Skip a meal.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

I'm going to look around a little bit before I decide on the one I'm going to get.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

So many choices, so little time.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

So true! But when your parents are buying it, a little time can be taken :)

I have my laptop plugged in so I will have internet on my desktop until I get my new wireless card.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.