How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Wireless Broadband and Security

(4 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by segsten1234
  • Latest reply from bobro
  • Topic Viewed 357 times

segsten1234

Hello(first topic)
I was wondering how to make sure that no one can get in contact with my Windows 7 laptop,i use a dial up connection from Oister(denmark).
And make sure that some one can not use one of the other connections displayed.
Kind Regards Segsten1234.

Posted 2 years ago

StringJunky

Not an expert on this sort of thing but a 'whitelist' approach might be what you are looking for probably at your router...this means you block all and input the MAC addresses of those PC's you want to use in the router settings.

Tony

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

What does "make sure that some one can not use one of the other connections displayed."

Certainly you do not mean that no one can "contact your Windows 7 laptop". The purpose of connecting to the Dial-up is so that you can communicate to web sites and they can communicate with you. The someones at the websites you contact must be able to contact your Windows 7 laptop or you would receive nothing.

The idea is that you only communicate with safe websites and then you will not have problems. Just because you connect to a dial-up does not give anyone access to your computer that you do not explicitly or implicitly give permission to.

Posted 2 years ago

bobro

are we all talking about dial up as in 56k modem stuff? i take it there is no wifi versions of these things? if its wifi set a good wpa security password, if its not, are you worried about someone hacking your internet? I am not a hacker but isnt the dial up modem thing farely hard to hack as they would need to get to your phone line and modem?

either way, good luck, dont think i am gonna be much help to you on this, sorry.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.