(Solved) - Wireless Adaptor not working

(30 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by cas34
  • Latest reply from GuiltySpark
  • Topic Viewed 1856 times

cas34
cas34

Hi,

I recently done a reinstall of Vista on my laptop. Since doing that I can no longer see my wireless adapter. I am assuming this is a driver issue but as I can't see the adapter in device manager I don't know what drivers to get to make it work. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Did you run a Scan for Hardware changes in Device Manager ?

Posted 2 years ago

cas34
cas34

No I did not run a scan for hardware changes but I have done so now. Unfortunately still don't have network adapters showing in device manager.

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Check in Services to see if Function Discovery Provider Host is not disabled, also check its dependencies.

Posted 2 years ago

cas34
cas34

The service is currently stopped and when I try and start it I get the following message - "the operation could not be completed Access is denied".

I am currently logged into the administrator's account and have the admin password (although I am not being asked for it).

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Try running a Free Scan by Belarc Advisor and check what it says under the Communications Heading.

Do you have any yellow flags in device Manager?

Posted 2 years ago

cas34
cas34

Ran the Belarac Advisor scan - please see below for results:

Communications new

None discovered
Network Card MAC Address 00:00:00:00:00:00

Regarding the yellow flags:

under the heading other devices I have two yellow flags

1. ethernet controller
2. unknown device

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

You will need to download the ethernet driver, as for the unknown device??? Do you have any external devices plugged into the machine ?

Posted 2 years ago

cas34
cas34

Only had a USB drive plugged in but I could see that when I went to computer.

What drivers should I download for the ethernet card as I do not know what make or model it is?

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Best bet would be to go to your computers manufacturer site Dell etc... and input the model if asked in the Support/ Driver download page.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

You need to go to the computer manufacturer's web site and go to Support/downloads page. Put in your computer model and download the drivers for your computer's LAN adapter.

Posted 2 years ago

cas34
cas34

This is weird, I have an Advent laptop but in system it says manufacturer Dell. Any idea how I find the model as I no longer have documentation as this laptop is 4 years old.

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

What model Advent ?

Posted 2 years ago

cas34
cas34

I found the model underneath my laptop currently downloading drivers from Advent website. Will let you know how I get on.

Posted 2 years ago

cas34
cas34

Not sure if I have done this right as it does not seem to be working yet. I think I have managed to install the network adaptor as the ethernet controller has gone from other devices, network devices has appeared and has SiS 191 Ethernet Controller listed there with no yellow flags. However, I am not able to see any networks, let alone connect to them.

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Are you using the Network wizard as you'll have to Re-set a connection as though it's a new machine.

Posted 2 years ago

cas34
cas34

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean as I am a bit of a noob when it comes to networks.

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Go to Start menu --- Network --- Network and Sharing center --- Connect to a Network

Or ...................... " ---------- " ---------------------------------- Set up a Connection or Network.

Posted 2 years ago

cas34
cas34

I can only see Broadband Connection PPPoE Connection but that is not the name of my network. Not sure what to do now.

Thanks for all the help so far by the way. :)

Posted 2 years ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Are you running through ethernet cable or trying to do it wireless ?

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.