SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - Wipeing and restoring an old DELL laptop?

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by CelticStar87
  • Latest reply from CelticStar87
  • Topic Viewed 719 times

CelticStar87

I've had this DELL laptop since the spring of '07. It was brand new when I got it (and free) and it lasted for a few years. Then one day it starting slowing way down and the WiFi card shorted out and a whole other mess of things started happening with it (I believe the Audio drive has also become finicky on whether it wants to work or not). So instead of having it fixed (as the Windows system and everything else was becoming more and more outdated) I bought a new tablet/PC through HP. I love it but am having it sent for repairs soon and was wanting to get my old computer into at least a semi-working state so I could use it while my HP is out for repairs (all the shipping and service is free as it is still under warranty, so no worries there). I was just wondering about the easiest and quickest way to wipe the old laptop's hard drive? I do not believe it will connect to the internet so I need to get the information and steps for the procedures while I still have my HP (and will be without the HP for 3-4 weeks). I don't need the DELL for work or anything just to be able to play some games and maybe work on some Word documents until I get the HP back. I have the restore disks for my DELL for Windows XP operating system and some of the other apps that came on the the laptop. Any help is welcomed. :)

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

I would start with those Dell recovery disks -- and do a factory rollback. Once set up, you can get rid of any and all crapware (optional) -- then install the few programs you need (e.g. Office). You are good to go if you don't plan on any internet visits.

But if you plan on surfing the net, then make sure Windows Firewall is turned on -- then connect with the web -- download Microsoft Securities Essentials -- and get all the MS Windows and Office and whatever else app updates you need. You are now good to go.

After performing the above, there is no way any old files will remain to slow down your laptop or create any kind of havoc. They won't even be accessible. But if you are truly paranoid about wiping any and all remaining traces of old files -- you can download CCleaner (free) -- and set it to wipe all unused disk space. That should take care of it.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

you can also purchase a wireless USB network adapter if your USB ports are functional.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....0U008T8237

Posted 1 year ago

doctordeere
doctordeere

If the WiFi card did indeed actually short out, be sure to remove it from the laptop before proceeding. Leaving a buggered up hardware component in place can cause all sorts of phantom issues on down the line.

Posted 1 year ago

CelticStar87

Thank you for all your replies. Using the recovery disks have worked like a charm. I have also managed to be able to reinstall the wifi driver and it is working. I don't think this laptop as worked this good even on the day I got it. I haven't installed Microsoft Office yet but I guess I will get to that one day soon. I'm currently using the DELL (something I haven't done in two or three years) and am about to install a game on it :). I've even ran a systems check to make sure I can run the game with no problems and the computer has passed with flying colors. Yay! :) Again thank you all!

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!