How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - "WINDOWS.~BT" what is this

(25 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by gordy
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 23400 times

gordy
gordy

started booting Vista from disc to repair files but quickly changed my mind and canceled, all was ok but have now got a folder "WINDOWS.~BT" with a load of files i don't recognise in it. What is it and can i get rid?

Posted 5 years ago

zaccee

bt would normally stand for bluetooth. does your pc have bluetooth? If so, it would probably be temporary files.

Posted 5 years ago

gordy
gordy

no ain't got bluetooth, only home basic if that makes any dif. thought it prob temp files where started doing install which i then camceled B4 in went any further but wanted to cyheck B4 delete.

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

They probably are temp files, but check on the date and time they were created.

Posted 5 years ago

gordy
gordy

yes they were created when i started the install then cancelled. i clicked to install expexting to get another screen giving me options but when i didn't get the screen i thought i would and it started instaling instead i panicked and for lack of better way to cancel it i just powerd it down. not good but learnt my lesson and all was ok but i've been left with this file and was curious what it was, I'm preety sure i can just delete it now but i'll wait for a reply to c what u have to say about it.
Has anyone got experiance with Norton Save & Restore, i got the disc with my system and am debating whether to use it or not as ive not had much good experiance with Norton AV. What would be the benefit of using Save & Restore rather than Vista's BackUp and Restore Center?

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Gordy, it sounds like you started to do a Repair Install when what you may have wanted was the Recovery Environment? To use the Recovery Environment, see these step-by-step instructions with pictures. The key is to click on "Repair your computer" rather than Install. Also, if you plan to use the Recovery Environment again, you can install it to your hard drive and access it from the Advanced Boot Options menu (F8 menu). Instructions on how to do this are here at the Windows RE Team Blog.

Norton Save & Restore is a little out of date, but still useful. I thought that you had Vista Basic? Does it even have Backup and Restore Center? Anyway, it would not be as good as Norton's Save & Restore. I use Norton Ghost which is a more full featured version of Norton backup software. If it helps, Symantec purchased this software from PowerQuest so it is not a "Norton" original like the AV. See this thread on ghosting for a thorough discussion of backup solutions.

Posted 5 years ago

gordy
gordy

thanks a lot i'll take a look at the threads you've pointed out. yes basic does have the BackUp & Restore Center, thats what i've been using up till now but thought i'd take a look at other back up options now that i've got things as i want them. While i have your attention i've had this one little prob on and off scince i got this pc and it's come back again. It's as though Vista thinks i've got a mass storage devive pluged into one of my USB's. The 'safely remove hardware' icon comes up in my system tray and when i check my device manager there is a warning symbol by one of my 'USB Contoller's'. if i click on the icon in sys tray to get rid of it then my device manager still has warning which under properties says "error 47 port#00005 - hub#0000?, you have clicked to remove USB devive but you havn't removed it yet, to solve prob remove the device" I unplugged all USB's and plugged mem stick into all but no change till re-start and warning has gone. icon is back in tray and if i right click it gives me options to remove h,i,j,k which are my card reading slots. R the card slots classed as "USB mass storage device" if so y does it keep thinking i've got smoething in there and what can i do about it. It's not causing me any probs but dont like seeing it when i go to device manager. next time it happens i'll take a screen print

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Do you have an all-in-one printer attached? Most of these have a card reader that will show up in Safely Remove and people don't expect that behavior from a printer. If that's not it, is there anything else attached to a USB port, no matter how bizarre it might seem?

Posted 5 years ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

My card reader has the same issue. In the safely remove hardware window, vista shows a mass storage device for each slot, whether occupied or not.

I'm not aware of any fix for this, but I haven't looked to much in to it. It is a minor irritation I suppose.

Posted 5 years ago

gordy
gordy

thanks both glad it's not me going mad. Yes i have an all in one printer but not with any card reading slots although i've had trouble with it b4, It's an HP and Vista doesn't like it, if you are in WORD it will close eraticaly when it is set as default printer, the work around is not to have it set as default then chose it each time you want to print something, could this be part of that prob, this has gone on for a year now and i'm amazed that companys like microsft and hp haven't sorted it yet. the warning in device manager has gone but only after i disconected everything and pluged/unpluged mem stick into everything. next time it happens i'll try just the printer. only other things on USB is wireless mouse and keyboard. P.s warning gone but still get safely remove icon in sys tray

Posted 5 years ago

gordy
gordy

3 quick tings,
1) i've forgot how to get up option "set for best performance2 as aposed to "set for best apperance"
2) whats the easiest wat of taking things out of a file and put them in the folder the file is in, i.e remove the extra step of opening the file
3) does anyone know of a prog where i acn edit .MOV files in home basic, all i got that will play then is nero, quick time & win live photo galery none of which can edit

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

gordy. Can you start 3 new threads for those 3 different problems please.

Posted 5 years ago

gordy
gordy

ok thanks, just getting used to correct protocol

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

That's OK. But more than 1 problem in a thread can cause great confusion as questions and answers get mixed up.

Posted 5 years ago

gordy
gordy

ok, please feel free to give me any other tips on using this forum correctly as i think it's gr8 and want to be able to get the most from it, cheers LH

Posted 5 years ago

LH
LH

A major tip, is. Don't add your problem, to another members thread. Even tho' you think it's the same problem, it invariably isn't. So once again, much confusion reigns within that thread.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Gordy, try this. Right-click on the Safely Remove Hardware icon in the system tray, then select "Safely Remove Hardware". This is the default action, so a double-click should work as well. This will bring up a window that shows the name of the device and it's location in the system. Check the box, "Display device components" to get the most information from this window.

Posted 5 years ago

gordy
gordy

i followed your instructions which is what i have done in the past and this is what i get, it is at this point that if i click to STOP that the problems start as it then keeps saying words to the effect of 'it's now safe to remove hardware so y haven't you done so'. Ive tries to get more info as to wether it thinks it's one specific card thats still in the reader but this is all the info i can get

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Oh, I see. That is the card reader itself that you are seeing. This will show up even though there are no cards in it. It's "normal".

Inside the case, the card reader will have a cable that runs to a USB header on the motherboard. Thus, the card reader is a USB-attached device. Any cards that get installed are sub-devices beneath the card reader. When you choose to Safely Remove this entry, Windows thinks that you are asking to stop the card reader and then wonders why you haven't removed it. It is confusing because USB ports are normally external and hot-pluggable devices are normally user-accessible. These card readers break the rules because it is a cheap and easy way to implement them.

When you have a card in the card reader and wish to remove the card, go to Computer, right-click the drive and select "Eject". That is the way to remove just one card.

Posted 5 years ago

gordy
gordy

that explains it all, i was starting to think it must be something like that cos it calss them USB and gives them for numbers#0005-#0008 but didn't think about windows seeing the whole card reader as a device that was plugged in. thanks again another question answerd. Do you know what 'ExplorerView', Ive DL and installed a lot of stuff last few days but i noticed this 'explorerview' prog that i didn't remember when i tried loading to c what it was it cam up with error, the web site wouldn't load so i checked out the installed info book and it was all some religeous stuff. Ive unistalled it now as it seemed a bit dodgy to me. I got it the same date i got 'Acrobat.com' installed, don't remember doing that either tbut that was prob for a web page and think this religeous stuff might have been tagged along with it

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!