(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Fizou
  • Latest reply from PackDrill
  • Topic Viewed 2784 times

Fizou

Hi

I have 2 related problems.

The first one:
I have a pc with 3 /250 gigs Hd. I had linux installed in one of them. I wanted to installed Win8. I bought win8 pro, 32 and 64 bits DVDs. Booting from the win 8 dvd, i reformated the 3 HDs and installed window 8 in one of them. But then I could not boot without having the DVD in the drive. If I took the disc out,I would get GRUB, the linux bootloader rescue. I spent almost a full day trying to get ride of it with no sucess. I read forums, tried reformating the drives, disconnecting the drives, try to fix it with bootrec fixmbr from the repair window from the dvd. Nothing worked, nada. So I gave up, which now leads to the second problem.

As i tought that the problem was with my three original drives, I bought a new SSD drive, disconnected the 3 original HDDs... And tried installing win8 on the new SSD. But now the win8 dvd does not complete the set up. It starts OK, then I get the little balls rollling around for a few second, then the screen freezes for a minute or so and the machine reboot itself. Again I tried everything I could think of, tried the 32 bit dvd (it worked once, but window could not find my new SSD). I tried moving the the connections of the SATA cable. i changed the RAM. Nada. i also disconneded the SSD, connected only the HD on which I had installed win8 originally. It also booted then froze.

The computer is OK tough. I dug out my old Linux Mint 11 CD and installed it with no problem, linux found the attched HD as well as the new SSD. It took me 15 minutes to reinstall linux....!

Any idea what is wrong? Why the win8 dvd freezes on install, it does not even go to the first screen where one chose the keyboard.

Thanks

Didier

Posted 1 year ago

Kelen
Kelen

I've been upgrading alot of win7 pc to windows 8 at the shop and have made notice that many of the win8 discs seem to have a warped burn pattern and will not install correctly. I finaly just found a some good ones that do work and made some iso. So check your discs.

Posted 1 year ago

Fizou

Thanks, the funny thing is that the two dvds worked before as i managed to install win 8 twice. How do i check the dvds? They seems OK, no scratches.

Posted 1 year ago

Fizou

I will try to make a botable USB key using th installed linux.

Posted 1 year ago

Kelen
Kelen

Not scratches or anything on the surface, what your looking at it the area around the center that is darker then the outer parts. It should be almost perfect circle. I've been seeing many almost egg shaped.

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar
gedstar

You can make a bootable USB key using this, once you the Win 8 ISO

http://www.microsoftstore.com/.....vd_dwnTool

Posted 1 year ago

silhouttejames

Not sure why you're having problems. You could try the later ISO from here :- http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso

I just installed 8 from the 32 bit ISO after using the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool to put it on a Usb stick. It worked perfectly.

Posted 1 year ago

PackDrill
PackDrill

Gosh when I tried installing my copy it was a pain in the neck, I was given a SCRATCHED disc from Microsoft.
I had to wash it to see if I could get by with the scratches after 4 hours of retrying I finally got it ;_;

That was MY reason why It didn't install past 15%.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.