How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

[Windows XP] Restarting Repeatedly

(13 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by JaydenRanby
  • Latest reply from ProstheticHead
  • Topic Viewed 717 times

JaydenRanby

Hello,
I am currently experiencing a problem with my computer, I have had a key-logger on my computer and I was looking up how to get rid of it. I had downloaded this program but I am not sure what its called, It had something to do with showing you threats on your computer. There was this one file (that was a dll file) that was a 95% threat to my computer, once I had deleted that file I tried to open up Task Manager. It said the dll file was missing, so I tried restarting the computer, and now it will only load up to the background of the login screen and then keep restarting, doing the same process over and over.

If you need me to provide you with more information, please let me know.

Cheers,
Jayden

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

Hi and welcome.

First of all, I would recommend to start the computer in Safe Mode. To do so, press repeatedly the F8 key during boot, just after when the manufacturer logo shows, but before the Windows Logo with the loading bar appears. Select "safe mode with networking" and tell us if it works, or if it keeps restarting. If it work then we'll try to repair the system from there.

Posted 1 year ago

JaydenRanby

I had just tried "Safe Mode with Networking" but it keeps doing the same thing.

Thanks

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

If you can get into safe mode as described by ruja above then run a System Restore to a date and time prior to this happening.
System Restore

If you want to do a system restore...

XP: Go to Start->Help and Support. Under Pick a Task click on "Undo changes to your computer with System Restore". Make sure there is a dot in "Restore my computer to an earlier time". Then click Next. Choose a date with a bold number that is before you did what you did. Then click next. Read and click Next again.

Vista , Win 7: There are two places that you can use the system restore feature from. From within Windows, you can just type restore into the Start menu search box, and you'll immediately see System Restore at the top of the start menu or you can type rstrui into the search box and hit enter. Your choice.

Watch it do it.

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

OK, so safe mode is not working. Can you tell us which was the .dll file you deleted, and where it was located (e.g. C:\Windows\system32)? If so we will be able to check if it was a system component and try to restore it.

Posted 1 year ago

JaydenRanby

I am not exactly sure what it was called...
It was located in the system32 folder though.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

And please try and remember what program you downloaded.

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

Let's try if "Safe mode with command prompt" works, although i have little faith it will. But if it works you'll be able to System Restore from there. Do not desperate, your personal files can still be recovered using a Windows 7 or Ubuntu installation DVD or USB.

Posted 1 year ago

JaydenRanby

I tried running with Safe mode with command prompt, still does the same thing.
I have a dull memory of the DLL file, It is around 3-4 letters and it has error for Task Manager not opening.

Sorry I am not providing as much information as you need.

Posted 1 year ago

JaydenRanby

I just recently found the program, the program I deleted the dll file with, was Security Task Manager, from Neuber Software.

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

It's ok, I'm looking for something you could do to launch a recovery console and run System Restore. While I do that, if you do not have a backup of your files, you should do one now, just in case. Here is how:

Download an Ubuntu CD: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop (click on Start Download)
You will have an .ISO file. Burn it to a CD or DVD with a program such as ImgBurn.
Insert the CD into your computer, and restart.
-- If it boots into XP again then you will need to press a key while the logo of the manufacturer is showing. Try to search for a message such as "F12 - Boot Options", to boot into the Ubuntu CD.
Once inside Ubuntu, copy all your files to an external hard disk.

You can find more info here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-computer/
If you have questions just ask.

Posted 1 year ago

Ruja

So this is my idea: I have made a list of the .dll files found in a Win XP SP3 installation with 2, 3 or 4 letters names (total 58), check the list here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10046195/DLLs.txt

If you find the one you deleted, I can send it to you, and with the Ubuntu CD you can put it back in place. With this your system should work again.

Posted 1 year ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

Why not try a repair install? Be sure to backup your data beforehand though.

Note: if you have IE8 installed you will have to find a way to uninstall it before performing the repair install.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!