How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Windows XP No Boot

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by stinger608
  • Latest reply from bigp-london
  • Topic Viewed 1021 times

stinger608
stinger608

I have a no boot issue in windows XP. It just keeps giving me the "no boot device" or something similar. It will boot from the Windows XP Home disk without any issues. I have tried replacing the boot.ini, fixmbr, and fixboot. None of these have worked. I even went so far as to doing the repair by installing Windows XP Home. When it rebooted it still gave me the same reading.

I can get it to boot from a Paragon Rescue disk though. I am at a loss on this one. My next step is to run a boot virus check I suppose, as this system had over 300 trojans, virus' and malware.

This is a friends computer that has a bunch of his work related documents so I don't want to reformat or anything unless it has to.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

If I were you I would run a boot virus scan, backup all of your friends files and reinstall windows if it has that many viruses. You will probably never be sure if you got ALL traces of the viruses COMPLETELY gone.

Posted 1 year ago

stinger608
stinger608

so far I have run malwarebytes and combofix which has got rid of some serious nasties on the system LOL.

what is a good boot up free antivirus that will check the system boot? I am at a loss on this one.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Kaspersky Rescue Disk

Windows Defender Offline

Posted 1 year ago

stinger608
stinger608

Thanks Xhi!!! I will give Kaspersky a shot first.

Posted 1 year ago

bigp-london

You may also want to try the Hitmanpro boot USB or AVG bootable rescue disk

http://www.surfright.nl/en/downloads#x64 (you can create a bootable USB stick, this will boot the system and allow you to run AV sweeps)
http://www.avg.com/gb-en/avg-rescue-cd-download (download an ISO image for CD or USB, these use Linux to create an enviroment to scan your system)

However as it was stated earlier in the thread- it would be a good idea to copy all your freinds data off the PC (remove the disk from his PC, either install as an extra drive in your PC or get a disk caddy) - copy all the data to a safe place and run some virus scans over them, then rebuild your freinds PC with a fresh O/S and copy the data back

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.