The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

(Solved) - windows xp factory restore help

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by csm
  • Latest reply from csm
  • Topic Viewed 706 times

csm

Have old compaq presario SR 1000, was full of unwanted data and running slow, i saved all data i wanted to external hard drive, then i restored to the factory settings thinking that it would be like it was when i first got it, however hard drive is still full, it has program icons of software that i installed in the all program area, but they do not open, also had wireless mouse & broadband dongle but these will not work now, I reinstalled these using the cds supplied with them, have tried restoring again to see if these would work but still no joy. I think there may be some parts saved to hd that are causing conflicts? What would be the best way to clear the hard drive so only programs that were on pc when i got it then i could install wireless mouse and dongle, leaving me with a pc with plenty space and no conflicts. Cheers.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

If you still have your data you did not do a factory restore. What exactly are you doing?

Posted 1 year ago

csm

Hi Xhi. Sorry i thought i had done a factory restore, however on trying it againby pressing F10 at start up it says system recovery. I was wanting to do a factory restore. Any help would be great. Cheers.

Posted 1 year ago

bigp-london

some PCs come with a factory restore option usually on a hidden partition.

if yours is still intact - you can follow the instructions on page 5 of the following article

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.c.....426823.pdf

if it is not intact - you will need to use either a previously created set of recovery disks -OR- a standard O/S disk (are you running XP or 98?)
the drivers you will need to downlaod and install seperately (usually the ethernet and video drivers) are available here

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizs.....peId=12454

let me know if you need further help.

Posted 1 year ago

csm

Hi Bigp-London

I had followed the instructions on the article when i first tried it, however this starts a system recovery and not a factory restore. It says on the article that any data files and programs install will be deleted, but this is not the case i still have data files and program icons that i installed, the program icons do not open however i think they are causing conflicts when i try to install my wireless mouse & braodband dongle, my hard drive has only 40g of free space of 160g. I would like to delete all data & programs so it was like when i first got it. Any help would be great. Cheers

Posted 1 year ago

arthur30
arthur30

if you do system restore you will restore the system to a previous date where you have installed some software if you wish to re install windows or do a fresh install you need to have some windows disc also try removing the drive which saves system information(backup data) in order to save your disc space.

Posted 1 year ago

csm

Thanks for all your responses, i pressed the f10 button when starting up, this took me to the system recovery area, clicked on advanced setting where i got the option to do a destructive recovery which resores pc to factory settings. The first time i had just done the system recovery which did not delete all the data or programs that did not come with the pc, wireless mouse is now working after installing disc, wireless dongle not connecting however no conflicts when installing disc. Will try to sort this soon. Thanks again.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!