The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Windows XP controls

(2 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by tk
  • Latest reply from scorpion99
  • Topic Viewed 450 times

tk

I am having the hardest time finding a solution to this issue. We currently use Windows XP pro, but later in year we are going to Win 7 (version unknown, but probably pro)

A little background: we are a tax franchise and use a proprietary tax software that requires admin access to to even open (yes the program is horribly designed). I can not get employees to stop downloading crap, especially the owners kids. I block a lot of sites, but they keep finding new ones. I can't restrict the internet to specific sites because we need to be able to do research otherwise I would give them access to our intranet and the IRS website.

I have no choice but to give them a windows admin account otherwise the program won't open. What can I do to make it where they only have admin permission for specific things such as that program or even block the download and/or install of authorized programs? While I'm asking, is it possible to restrict the computer so only certain programs can be installed with out admin permission?

You can either point me to existing articles if you can find them since HTG writes such wonderful how to's or you can try to explain what I should do. Thanks everyone!

Posted 1 year ago

scorpion99
scorpion99

Hi and welcome to HTG,
This can be done bu using group policy on computers.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!