How-To Geek Forums / Linux

(Solved) - Windows won't boot, can't reinstall

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by NSDCars5
  • Latest reply from NSDCars5
  • Topic Viewed 1133 times

NSDCars5
NSDCars5

Hi! It seems I'm in a *big* problem. I had a retail copy of XP on my netbook, but as it was giving me problems (Once a month, I used to get a screen saying "You must activate Windows before you log on", even though MS said my Windows was genuine), I decided to install Linux. After seeing a couple of good articles about EasyPeasy (as of right now, based on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS), I decided to install it. Installation was fine, but I lost the USB stick I used to install it. After rebooting, I noticed GRUB didn't have an entry for Windows. I ran "sudo update-grub", and it found Windows as Windows Recovery Environment. I booted Windows, and tried to log on. It gave me the genuine message mentioned earlier. I thought "Just my bad day, I'll try the next day". But for past 1 week, I've been getting that screen. Now I always had an ISO of Windows 7 Ultimate on my HDD, so I thought "What the hell, I'll upgrade". But, as I had only got a key for Home Basic, I couldn't install it without removing the ei.cfg off the ISO. But when I opened it in Archive Manager, it contained a small README.TXT, saying that to modify UDF ISO's, I needed a UDF OS (Ubuntu doesn't have that? Seriously?). I figured I needed to copy the ISO to the other laptop, but I don't have a USB drive to do so, and Mum's denied me the right to have a pendrive, as I've lost *many* (as in 10-12 every year). So how do I copy the Win7 ISO from Ubuntu to another laptop? They share the same WiFi network. Also, I need to backup my data (games, music, OS images etc).

Posted 1 year ago

AlanWade
AlanWade

Now I always had an ISO of Windows 7 Ultimate on my HDD, so I thought "What the hell, I'll upgrade". But, as I had only got a key for Home Basic - that was the point when I stopped reading, sorry.

Posted 1 year ago

Kelen
Kelen

Burn your iso to dvd.
Boot from dvd.
Follow setup to the part with formating the hard drive.
Delete , Create and Format a Partion of adequate size.
Do NOT hit next. Instead Press SHIFT+F10, a Command Promt should appear.
dism.exe /mount-wim /wimfile:D:\sources\install.wim /index:2 /mount-dir:C:\
bootsect.exe /nt60 C: /force /mbr
bcdboot.exe C:\windows

Reboot and you should be done, cant remember if you have to flag the partition as active.
[NOTE1] the exampleabove assumes your DVD drive is D: and that your newly created hard drive partition is C:
[NOTE2] use /index:2 if your disc is x86(32bit) and /index:1 if your disc is amd64(64bit). The reason is x86 has the "Stater" Version and 1

May aswell make the DVD since you wont have ot then copy to other machines.

Posted 1 year ago

NSDCars5
NSDCars5

Thanks, but I found a solution. I had 2x4.7GB DD drives. I burnt my data and the WIn7 ISO (as a file) on one, and the modded ISO on the other. Then I copied my data from the first disc. ProbSolved!

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!